Many MLSC grantees welcome the assistance of volunteer attorneys, paralegals and others as they provide legal services across the state. Some grantees also have reduced fee opportunities for attorneys.
Judicare Family Law Project – Paid Opportunities for Attorneys
The Judicare Family Law Project, a partnership between MLSC and the Administrative Office of the Courts, provides payment to private lawyers to serve low-income Marylanders who could not otherwise afford representation in contested family law cases. Case types include custody, divorce and other contested family law matters.
The MLSC Judicare Project has established the maximum of $4,200 per case. The attorney case time rate is $120/hour and the paralegal (or other non-attorney) case time rate is $40/hour. Attorneys also receive support of litigation expenses, training and mentoring support, all while making a difference for a low-income family in need.
How to Participate: Judicare is available throughout Maryland. Contact an organization listed below that is administering Judicare in your jurisdiction. Case types and participation requirements may vary with each organization.
- Allegany Law Foundation | 301-722-3390
- Bar Foundation of Montgomery County | 301-424-2706
- Community Legal Services of Prince George’s County | 240-391-6532
- Harford County Bar Foundation | 410-836-0123
- Maryland Volunteer Lawyers Service (serving all other Maryland jurisdictions) | 443-451-4084
- Mid-Shore Pro Bono (serving Caroline, Dorchester, Kent, Queen Anne’s and Talbot counties) | 410-690-8128 x302
- Women’s Law Center (Baltimore County) | 410-321-8761
This project is supported by a grant from the Maryland Judiciary’s Access to Justice Department.