Statutes & Court Rules
“There is a need to provide equal access to the system of justice for individuals who seek redress of grievances. There is a need to continue and expand legal assistance to those who would otherwise be unable to afford adequate legal counsel.” — from Preamble, Maryland Legal Services Corporation Act, Maryland Code, Human Resources, Title 11
To find rules and regulations governing Maryland Legal Services Corporation and Interest on Lawyer Trust Accounts, use a resource such as Westlaw and use the following citations:
- Maryland Legal Services Corporation Act: Maryland Code, Human Services, Title 11 – Maryland Legal Services Corporation
- Mandatory IOLTA: Maryland Code, Business Occupations and Professions, Title 10 – Lawyers, Subtitle 3 – Trust Money, § 10-303 – Duty of Lawyer to Deposit Trust Money in Interest Bearing Accounts
- Mandatory Reporting of Compliance by Attorneys: Maryland Rules, Title 19 – Attorneys, Chapter 400 – Attorney Trust Accounts, Rule 19-409 – Interest on Funds
- Approval of Financial Institutions and Rate: Maryland Rules, Title 19 – Attorneys, Chapter 400 – Attorney Trust Accounts, Rule 19-411 – Approval of Financial Institutions
- Handling of Client Fees: Maryland Rules, Title 19 – Attorneys, Chapter 300 – Maryland Attorneys' Rules of Professional Conduct, Rule 19-301.5 – Fees
Click here to find the MLSC Client Income Eligibility Guidelines for the current and prior years.
Click here to visit the Office of Legislative Audits Fraud Hotline website.