Workforce Development Paralegal
Maryland Volunteer Lawyers Service
April 28, 2022
Maryland Volunteer Lawyers Service (MVLS), founded in 1981, is the oldest and largest volunteer legal services organization in Maryland. The mission of MVLS is to remove barriers to justice through free civil legal help, community engagement, and advocacy for equitable laws. Our vision is for a fair legal system that is free of injustice and equitably serves underrepresented Marylanders. We achieve this goal primarily through our core pro bono program and more targeted programs that serve specialized legal needs. For more program information, visit our website: www.mvlslaw.org. This position focuses on screening clients for acceptance into the MVLS workforce development program, coordinating with agency partners, and matching trainees with volunteers.
MVLS’ core values are teamwork, passion for MVLS’s mission, commitment to clients, volunteers, and community partners, initiative and commitment to eliminate systemic barriers to justice based on race and economic disparities. MVLS is committed to fostering an inclusive culture in the workplace. Our work to end barriers to justice starts with increasing the racial diversity of our staff to better reflect the communities we serve.
The Workforce Development Paralegal will be a part of MVLS’ existing Workforce Development Project. The Workforce Development Project is a collaboration with a number of job training facilities in Baltimore City, where MVLS provides legal consultations, Know-Your-Rights presentations, and referrals for job trainees. Our staff work directly with caseworkers at job training sites to streamline client assistance.
- Participate in on-site or virtual legal screenings at local job training programs, providing support by directing clients through the process and reviewing applications.
- Keep track of client case status,
- Work with clients and case managers to obtain necessary documents and provide follow-up.
- Develop proficiency using MVLS case management system, LegalServer,
- Track each client’s case process including entering and maintaining client applications, court documents, financial eligibility documents, and important correspondence.
- Coordinate level of service and case assignments with staff attorneys
- Other administrative duties as assigned.
This position is currently partially remote and partially in office due to the Covid-19 pandemic. When MVLS determines that conditions permit employees to return to the office full time, this will be an in-office position.
- Client-centered customer service skills are essential
- Excellent computer, data entry, and organization skills
- Detail oriented, organized, and able to manage a high volume of documents
- Works well with others; team player
- Strong written and oral communication skills essential
Experience & Education:
- At least 2 years of administrative, customer service, or legal experience is preferred
- A paralegal certificate from accredited institution is a plus
- Computer and data entry experience required
- Proficient in Microsoft Office suite of programs, i.e., Outlook, Word, Excel.
- Demonstrated commitment through work experience, lived experience or volunteer experience to communities, such as: Children, domestic workers, economically disadvantaged people, Immigrants and refugees, Incarcerated and formerly incarcerated people, LGBTQ people, People of color, People with disabilities, People with HIV/AIDS, Sex workers, Victims of crime and abuse, and Women and girls.
Salary range is $38,000 - $45,000 commensurate on experience with excellent benefits including: 3 health insurance plans to choose from (MVLS fully covers the monthly premium for 2 of them), dental and vision insurance, a flexible spending plan to reimburse employees with pre-tax dollars for out of pocket medical expenses, group life insurance, accidental death and dismemberment insurance, short and long term disability coverage, a 403(b) retirement plan with a 2% match and the possibility of an additional contribution from MVLS, a monthly commuter stipend equal to the value of an MTA pass, 20 vacation days, 2 personal days,10 sick days and 14 paid holidays per year.
How To Apply
Submit a cover letter, resume, and three professional references from employers or school via email with “Position Title” in the subject line to firstname.lastname@example.org by 4 weeks from when the application is posted. Applicants are encouraged to address the core values stated at the top of this job posting in their cover letters.
Please, no telephone calls.
This application was posted on April 26, 2022. MVLS generally begins scheduling interviews after the four-week application window has ended. Initial interviews with the hiring committee are scheduled for 45 minutes. For advancing candidates, a second 60-minute interview is held with the hiring committee and the Executive Director. Interview questions are provided in advance. Reference checks are made for final candidates. The interview process generally takes about four weeks.
MVLS is an equal opportunity employer. MVLS does not discriminate against any applicant for employment or any employee on the basis of race, nationality, ethnicity, age, religion, disability status, sex assigned at birth, gender identity, gender presentation, sexual orientation, or immigration status.