Tangled Title Paralegal
Maryland Volunteer Lawyers Service
October 18, 2022
Maryland Volunteer Lawyers Service (MVLS), founded in 1981, is the oldest and largest volunteer legal services organization in Maryland. MVLS removes barriers to justice through free civil legal help, community engagement, and advocacy for equitable laws. Our vision is for a fair legal system that is free of injustice and equitably serves underrepresented Marylanders. We achieve this goal primarily through our core pro bono program and more targeted programs that serve specialized legal needs. For more program information, visit our website: www.mvlslaw.org.
MVLS’s core values are teamwork, passion for MVLS’s mission, commitment to clients, volunteers, and community partners, initiative and commitment to eliminate systemic barriers to justice based on race and economic disparities. MVLS is committed to fostering an inclusive culture in the workplace. Our work to end barriers to justice starts with increasing the racial diversity of our staff to better reflect the communities we serve.
The Tangled Title Paralegal will support our My Home, My Deed, My Legacy program- this campaign focuses on securing and maintaining housing and community stabilization by ensuring that low-income homeowners in Baltimore City can maintain their housing and successfully pass it on to their next generation.
- Conduct intake for potential clients with estate administration, estate planning, deed transfer, or other property related matters.
- Screen clients for program and income eligibility.
- Assist Tangled Title Attorney with organizing and facilitating Homeowner clinics to help Baltimore City residents stabilize their homes and secure important resources for the long-term ability to remain in their homes.
- Assist with placement of clients with volunteer attorneys.
- Develop proficiency using LegalServer case management system, especially with respect to client and volunteer-related data entry and document management.
- Work with Tangled Title Attorney on client matters.
- Assist with development of trainings and resource materials for volunteer attorneys.
- Participate in outreach activities that may include occasional weekend and evening work
Full description: https://mvlslaw.org/about-us/careers/#positions
- Client-centered customer service skills are essential to success in this position.
- Excellent computer, data entry, and organization skills
- Must be detail-oriented
- Must possess ability to deal with difficult callers in crisis
- Works well with others; team player
- Strong written and oral communication skills essential
- Spanish language skills a plus
- At least 2 years of administrative, customer service, or legal experience preferred
- A paralegal certificate from accredited institution is a plus
- Computer and data entry experience required
- Proficient in Microsoft Office suite of programs, i.e., Outlook, Word, Excel.
- Demonstrated commitment through work experience, lived experience or volunteer experience to communities, such as:
- Children, Domestic workers, Economically disadvantaged people, Immigrants and refugees, Incarcerated and formerly incarcerated people, LGBTQ people, People of color, People with disabilities, People with HIV/AIDS, Sex workers, Victims of crime and abuse, and Women and girls.
Salary is $25 per hour at 20 hours per week. The position also includes excellent benefits, including: 3 health insurance plans to choose from (MVLS fully covers the monthly premium for 2 of them), dental and vision insurance, a flexible spending plan to reimburse employees with pre-tax dollars for out of pocket medical expenses, group life insurance, accidental death and dismemberment insurance, a 403(b) retirement plan with a 2% match and the possibility of an additional contribution from MVLS, a monthly commuter stipend equal to the value of an MTA pass, and leave time including vacation, personal, and sick days.
How To Apply
Please email cover letter, resume, and three professional references to email@example.com with the subject line “Tangled Title Paralegal”. Applicants are encouraged to address the core values stated at the top of this job posting in their cover letters.
No telephone calls, please.