Maryland Center for Legal Assistance
Glen Burnie, MD
June 11, 2021
The Maryland Center for Legal Assistance (MCLA) through a contract with the Administrative Office of the Courts operates the District Court Help Centers in Baltimore City, Glen Burnie, Upper Marlboro, and Salisbury and the Maryland Courts Help Centers in Annapolis and Frederick.
The Help Centers deal with a wide range of civil legal matters, including landlord-tenant, consumer matters such as debt collection and credit card cases, child support, and criminal record expungements to remove barriers to obtaining housing, employment, and child custody.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide brief legal advice and information to self-represented litigants in connection with civil legal issues including Landlord and Tenant Matters, Civil Claims, Expungement and Shielding of Records, Consumer Matters, Return of Property, Domestic Violence/Peace Orders, Family Law, and Foreclosure.
- Assist self-represented litigants in drafting their pleadings and motions, preparing for trial, completing court forms, and understanding court documents and the law.
- Provide referrals to appropriate legal service organizations, agencies, and lawyer referral services wherever appropriate.
- Supervise daily work of staff and provide feedback formal and informal, as needed.
- Assist supervisory team with hiring, data reporting, developing internal resources, and trainings.
- Primary hours are 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m., but occasional evening hours will be required and on-call availability for supervisory issues as needed.
- Be available to provide support to MCLA’s other offices as needed.
- Admitted to practice in the State of Maryland.
- Three or more years of litigation experience and demonstrated supervisory experience.
- Flexible and supportive team member, able to transition quickly from one task to another.
- Ability to conduct rapid legal research.
- Strong customer service skills, including ability to empathize and assist people who are distressed and communicate complex legal concepts in simple terms.
- Fluency in Spanish is desirable.
- $56,765 and up depending on experience. Compensation pursuant to a salary scale based on experience.
- Paid time off; retirement plan contribution; health, dental, prescription drug, Flexible Spending, and life insurance coverage; and opportunities for paid professional development.
- Employees of MCLA are eligible to apply for the Maryland Janet L. Hoffman Loan Assistance Repayment Program (LARP).
How To Apply
Apply for Supervising Attorney – Maryland Center for Legal Assistance using the link below:
A RESUME AND COVER LETTER ARE REQUIRED TO APPLY FOR THIS POSITION
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER