Maryland Center for Legal Assistance
La Plata, MD
April 8, 2022
Maryland Center for Legal Assistance (MCLA) announces an immediate opening for a full-time Supervising Attorney position for qualified applicants in the Charles County Court Help Center located in La Plata, Maryland. Successful candidates will demonstrate an ability to handle a broad range of duties in a timely manner.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Supervise daily work of staff and provide feedback, formal and informal, as needed.
- Assist supervisory team with hiring, data reporting, developing internal resources, and trainings.
- Provide brief legal advice and information to self-represented litigants in connection with civil legal issues including Landlord and Tenant matters, Civil Claims, Expungement and Shielding of Records, Consumer Matters, Return of Property, Domestic Violence/Peace Orders, Family Law, and Foreclosure.
- Assist self-represented litigants in drafting their pleadings and motions, preparing for trial, completing court forms, and understanding court documents and the law.
- Provide referrals to appropriate legal service organizations, agencies, and lawyer referral services whenever appropriate.
- Primary hours are 8:30 am-4:30pm, but will be required to staff evening hours on occasion and be on-call for supervisory issues as needed.
- Be able to provide support to MCLA's other offices as needed.
- Admitted to practice in the State of Maryland.
- Three or more years of litigation experience and demonstrated supervisory experience.
- Flexible and supportive team member, able to transition quickly from one task to another.
- Ability to conduct rapid legal research.
- Strong customer service skills, including ability to show empathy, assist people who are distressed, and communicate complex legal concepts in simple terms.
- Fluency in Spanish and American Sign Language strongly preferred.
$57,900 and up depending on experience.
How To Apply
Apply for Supervising Attorney (2007) using the link below:
**A RESUME AND COVER LETTER ARE REQUIRED TO APPLY FOR THIS POSITION**
Equal Opportunity Employer