Staff Attorney, General Legal Services
Maryland Legal Aid
April 8, 2022
Maryland Legal Aid (MLA) announces a full-time general practice staff attorney position in the General Legal Services Unit located in Baltimore, Maryland. This position handles all functions related to casework, from initial intake through representation of clients in all relevant courts and proceedings. Staff attorneys may be expected to work with other attorneys, law graduates, law clerks, legal assistants, paralegals, social workers, and students on cases or projects. They must maintain all case files in accordance with MLA standards. They will participate in community outreach and education, which will include collaborations with other attorneys at community outreach sites with the goal of identifying clients who need representation in court. Tasks assigned to staff attorneys may include any or all of but are not necessarily limited to the following:
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Screen clients for eligibility and make referrals, as appropriate.
- Conduct preliminary and subsequent interviews with clients.
- Conduct factual investigation and analysis as well as legal research.
- Advise clients of results of investigation and research and counsel clients regarding their options.
- Draft pleadings to include complaints, answers, and counter-complaints, etc.
- Draft memoranda of law, briefs, etc.
- Develop case theory and strategy for the representation of clients.
- Prepare cases and represent clients during negotiations and in hearings, trials, and appeals.
- Work with various community groups and accept speaking engagements as assigned by the supervisor.
- Continue professional development and education through attendance at Legal Aid sponsored training and other programs.
- Maintain case records for clients in the LegalServer case management system.
- Perform other duties as assigned within the scope of the essential functions of the position.
Admitted to practice in the State of Maryland, or admitted in another jurisdiction, or graduate of an ABA-approved law school and eligible for admission in the State of Maryland. Out-of-State attorneys must be able and available to take next scheduled bar exam following the date of employment. Spanish language proficiency desirable.
$57,900 and up depending on experience.
How To Apply
Apply for Staff Attorney (#2002) using the link below:
**A RESUME AND COVER LETTER ARE REQUIRED TO APPLY FOR THIS POSITION**
Equal Opportunity Employer