Maryland Legal Aid
December 16, 2021
Maryland Legal Aid (MLA) announces a full-time general practice staff attorney position in the Baltimore County Office located in Towson, Maryland. This position handles all functions related to legal advocacy, ranging from intake to representation of clients before administrative tribunals, District, Circuit, appellate and federal courts, and all relevant agencies. Staff attorney expected to participate in outreach activities and clinics. Additionally, participation in Legal Aid Task forces and other internal/external committees is required.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Screen clients for eligibility and make referrals, as appropriate.
- Conduct preliminary and subsequent interviews with clients.
- Conduct factual investigation and analysis as well as legal research.
- Advise clients of results of investigation and research and counsel clients regarding their options.
- Draft pleadings to include complaints, answers, and counter-complaints, etc.
- Draft memoranda of law, briefs, etc.
- Develop case theory and strategy for the representation of clients.
- Prepare cases and represent clients during negotiations and in hearings, trials, and appeals.
- Work with various community groups and accept speaking engagements as assigned by the supervisor.
- Continue professional development and education through attendance at Legal Aid sponsored training and other programs.
- Maintain case records for clients in the LegalServer case management system.
- Perform other duties as assigned within the scope of the essential functions of the position.
Admitted to practice in the State of Maryland or admitted in another jurisdiction and eligible for admission in the State of Maryland. Strong legal research and writing skills are required.
$56, 765 and up depending on experience.
How To Apply
Requisition ID: 1959
Apply for Staff Attorney using the link below:
**A RESUME AND COVER LETTER ARE REQUIRED TO APPLY FOR THIS POSITION**