Maryland Legal Aid
April 7, 2021
A RESUME AND COVER LETTER ARE REQUIRED TO APPLY FOR THIS POSITION
Maryland Legal Aid (MLA) provides life-changing civil legal assistance to eligible residents in every part of the State. Since 1911, MLA has provided high-quality legal services to low-income, and marginalized individuals and communities–helping them remedy their civil legal issues and become empowered to overcome challenges, achieve stability and independence, and an overall better life.
MLA is dedicated to preserving the basic human needs and basic human rights of clients, particularly as they navigate the justice system. MLA staff, pro bono attorneys, community partners, and general supporters all play important roles in ensuring that the legal playing field is leveled so that those most in need achieve equal access to justice. It is because of this diverse support that MLA is able to be a voice to tens of thousands of economically disadvantaged and vulnerable Marylanders every year.
Handle all functions related to casework, from initial intake through representation of clients in all relevant courts and proceedings. Staff attorneys may be expected to work with other attorneys, law graduates, law clerks, legal assistants, paralegals, social workers, and students on cases or projects. They must maintain all case files in accordance with MLA standards. They will participate in community outreach and education, which will include collaborations with other attorneys at community outreach sites with the goal of identifying clients who need representation in court. Tasks assigned to staff attorneys may include any or all of but are not necessarily limited to the following:
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Screen clients for eligibility and make referrals, as appropriate.
- Conduct preliminary and subsequent interviews with clients.
- Conduct factual investigation and analysis as well as legal research.
- Advise clients of results of investigation and research and counsel clients regarding their options.
- Draft pleadings to include complaints, answers, memoranda of law, briefs, etc. as assigned by supervisors and chiefs.
- Develop case theory and strategy for the representation of clients.
- Prepare cases and represent clients during negotiations and in hearings, trials, and appeals
- Work with various community groups and accept speaking engagements as assigned by supervisors and chiefs.
- Continue professional development and education through attendance at trainings and other programs sponsored by the MLA.
- Act as a liaison between clients and private attorney involvement (PAI) programs.
- Maintain case records for clients in the Legal Server case management system.
- Perform other duties as assigned within the scope of the essential functions of the position.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Admitted to practice in the State of Maryland, or admitted in another jurisdiction and eligible for admission in the State of Maryland. Out-of-State attorneys must be able and available to take next scheduled bar exam following date of employment. Spanish language proficiency desirable.
$61,280.oo per year
How To Apply
Apply for Staff Attorney-ALU-MKOS-1848 using the link below: