SARC Legal Services
Bel Air, MD
April 26, 2023
The Sexual Assault/Spouse Abuse Resource Center, Inc. (SARC) is seeking a full-time Staff Attorney to manage the immigration representation project and provide representation to survivors in divorce and/or custody cases. This position will also assist with protection orders, as needed. Immigration cases include VAWA self-petitions, U-VISAs, T-VISAs, Asylum, and related petitions.
SARC is a non-profit organization providing hope and resources to victims of domestic violence, sexual violence, and stalking in Harford County, MD for over 35 years. SARC’s Legal Services Program provides representation to victims in family and immigration proceedings.
- Advocate will create a safe and welcoming environment for residents by greeting residents, responding to resident request(s) for assistance or supplies and ensuring clients are provided a high quality of emotional support.
- Complete intakes and orientate survivors and their children to the shelter as needed and ensure their initial needs are met.
- To ensure cleanliness and order of the shelter, Advocate will restock interior storage as needed, do laundry to maintain linen supply, sweep the main stairwell and programming unit, keep entryway free of any clutter, and any other task needed to maintain order.
- To maintain overnight shelter safety and security, completing walk-throughs of shelter, monitoring security system, set all alarms, and ensure quiet hours throughout the shelter.
- As tasks at shelter vary each day, Advocate should assist in providing crisis intervention services. These services will include: answering emergency hotline and business lines, providing emergency financial assistance, safety planning, problem solving, individual support, resource and referral assistance as needed.
- We believe teamwork leads to better quality services. Advocate should consult on-call staff in handling emergencies and issues related to children and adults living at the shelter.
- In an effort to ensure 24/7 coverage, Advocate will be on time for their scheduled shift and complete their entire shift without leaving the premises.
- 10AM to 8PM Saturday. 10AM to 8PM Sunday.
- Flexibility in scheduling to ensure 24/7 coverage of the shelter and emergency crisis line.
- Desire to gain experience working with victims/survivors of domestic violence
- Attentive to detail, demonstrate emotional maturity, flexible in management of responsibilities, ability to work independently, and creatively problem solve to meet needs of clients.
- Ability to climb steps and lift occasional bulky items such as donations, large containers, household goods and laundry.
Immigration law experience preferred. All immigration experience, including law school clinic and internship experience will be considered. Training provided by immigration attorney with 7 years of experience.
Family law experience desired.
Spanish speaking a plus, but attorney has the assistance of a full-time Spanish-Speaking legal advocate and the use of language line.
REQUIREMENTS: Admission to Maryland Bar required.
Pay: $58,000.00 – $61,000.00 per year
Flexible, family-friendly work environment; Paid health, dental and vision; 401K, life insurance, and short and long term disability available; 11 paid holidays, plus two floating holidays; 12 days of sick leave; 14 days of vacation beginning in first year of service; opportunity to work part-time from home after initial onboarding.
SARC pays for attorney’s annual Client Protection Fund Assessment and annual Bar membership.
Job Type: Full-time
How To Apply
Please use the link on Indeed to apply.