Maryland Legal Aid
Bel Air, MD
February 22, 2022
Maryland Legal Aid (MLA) announces a full-time Staff Attorney position for qualified applicants in the Cecil/Hartford office. This position provides advice and representation to low-income clients in general civil matters including housing, family law, public benefits administrative appeals, consumer, health care, elder law, and community outreach. The successful candidate will demonstrate an ability to handle a broad range of duties in a timely manner. Please find below a summary of the job description.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Screen clients for eligibility and make referrals, as appropriate.
- Conduct preliminary and subsequent interviews with clients.
- Conduct factual investigation and analysis as well as legal research.
- Advise clients of results of investigation and research and counsel clients regarding their options.
- Draft pleadings to include complaints, answers, and counter-complaints, etc.
- Draft memoranda of law, briefs, etc.
- Develop case theory and strategy for the representation of clients.
- Prepare cases and represent clients during negotiations and in hearings, trials, and appeals.
- Work with various community groups and accept speaking engagements as assigned by supervisors and chiefs.
- Continue professional development and education through attendance at trainings and other programs sponsored by the Maryland Legal Aid.
- Act as a liaison between clients and private attorney involvement (PAI) programs.
- Maintain case records for clients in the LegalServer case management system.
- Perform other duties as assigned within the scope of the essential functions of the position.
Admitted to practice in the State of Maryland, or admitted in another jurisdiction and eligible for admission in the State of Maryland. Strong legal research and writing skills are required.
$57,900 and up depending on experience.
How To Apply
Requisition ID: 1986
Apply for Staff Attorney using the link below:
**A RESUME AND COVER LETTER ARE REQUIRED TO APPLY FOR THIS POSITION**
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER