Maryland Legal Aid
April 7, 2021
A RESUME AND COVER LETTER ARE REQUIRED TO APPLY FOR THIS POSITION
Maryland Legal Aid (MLA) provides life-changing civil legal assistance to eligible residents in every part of the State. Since 1911, MLA has provided high-quality legal services to low-income, and marginalized individuals and communities–helping them remedy their civil legal issues and become empowered to overcome challenges, achieve stability and independence, and an overall better life.
MLA is dedicated to preserving the basic human needs and basic human rights of clients, particularly as they navigate the justice system. MLA staff, pro bono attorneys, community partners, and general supporters all play important roles in ensuring that the legal playing field is leveled so that those most in need achieve equal access to justice. It is because of this diverse support that MLA is able to be a voice to tens of thousands of economically disadvantaged and vulnerable Marylanders every year.
The Staff Attorney will provide a wide array of legal advocacy under the Maryland Legal Services Corporation (MLSC) Extended Representation Housing Project. The attorney will provide representation to eligible tenants in failure to pay rent hearings, breach of lease hearings, and rent escrow complaints. Responsibilities range from handling intakes to the representation of clients before the District, Circuit, appellate and federal courts, and all relevant agencies. The attorney will also provide outreach and education to tenants and other key stakeholders about landlord-tenant issues. The attorney will refer tenants or homeless clients for supportive and collateral services. The attorney will collaborate with staff from the Community Assistance Network (CAN) and other community organizations to meet the needs of clients. The staff attorney will attend required trainings and continuing legal education courses as necessary to perform job duties. Participation in Legal Aid Task Forces and other internal Maryland Legal Aid committees is required.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Screen clients for eligibility and make referrals, as appropriate.
- Conduct preliminary and subsequent interviews with clients.
- Conduct factual investigation and analysis as well as legal research.
- Advise clients of results of investigation and research and counsel clients regarding their options.
- Draft pleadings to include complaints, answers, and counter-complaints, etc.
- Draft memoranda of law, briefs, etc.
- Develop case theory and strategy for the representation of clients.
- Prepare cases and represent clients during negotiations and in hearings, trials, and appeals.
- Work with various community groups and accept speaking engagements as assigned by supervisors and chiefs.
- Continue professional development and education through attendance at trainings and other programs sponsored by the Maryland Legal Aid Bureau.
- Act as a liaison between clients and private attorney involvement (PAI) programs.
- Maintain case records for clients in the LegalServer case management system.
- Perform other duties as assigned within the scope of the essential functions of the position.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Admitted to practice in the State of Maryland, or admitted in another jurisdiction. Strong knowledge of Lexis/Nexis research. Excellent writing skills. Sensitivity towards the low-income population. Spanish language proficiency desirable.
$56,765.oo per year
How To Apply
Apply for Staff Attorney-MCHSC-ANN-BWAL-1845 using the link below: