Maryland Legal Aid
December 9, 2021
Maryland Legal Aid (MLA) announces a full-time general practice staff attorney position in the Midwestern Office located in Frederick, Maryland. This position provides advice and representation for clients for a variety of civil legal matters in administrative proceedings and court hearings throughout Washington, Frederick and Carroll Counties, under the supervision of a chief attorney. Successful candidates will demonstrate an ability to handle a broad range of duties in a timely manner.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Screen clients for eligibility and make referrals, as appropriate.
- Conduct preliminary and subsequent interviews with clients.
- Conduct factual investigation and analysis as well as legal research.
- Advise clients of results of investigation and research and counsel clients regarding their options.
- Draft pleadings to include complaints, answers, and counter-complaints, etc.
- Draft memoranda of law, briefs, etc.
- Develop case theory and strategy for the representation of clients.
- Prepare cases and represent clients during negotiations and in hearings, trials, and appeals.
- Work with various community groups and accept speaking engagements as assigned by the supervisor.
- Continue professional development and education through attendance at Legal Aid sponsored training and other programs.
- Maintain case records for clients in the LegalServer case management system.
- Perform other duties as assigned within the scope of the essential functions of the position.
Admitted to practice in the State of Maryland, or admitted in another jurisdiction and eligible for admission in the State of Maryland. Out-of-state attorneys must be able and available to take the next scheduled bar exam following date of employment. Prior experience in poverty law or working with low-income people preferred. Legal Services experience and Spanish language proficiency desirable.
$56,765 and up depending on experience.
How To Apply
Apply for Staff Attorney using the link below:
Requisition ID: 1956
**A RESUME AND COVER LETTER ARE REQUIRED TO APPLY FOR THIS POSITION**