Senior Staff Attorney
Sexual Assault/Spouse Abuse Resource Center, Inc.
Bel Air, MD
September 17, 2020
The Sexual Assault/Spouse Abuse Resource Center, Inc. (SARC) is seeking a full-time Senior Staff Attorney to represent victims of domestic violence, sexual assault, and stalking in family law matters. This position also assists the Director of Legal Services with program administration.
SARC has been providing hope and resources to victims of domestic violence, sexual violence, and stalking in Harford County, MD, for over 40 years. SARC Staff Attorneys conduct civil/domestic, immigration, and criminal expungement lawsuits, prepare legal documents, advise clients as to legal rights in all areas of the law, and practice other phases of law by performing the following duties.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
- Represents clients in court, and before quasi-judicial or administrative agencies of government if necessary (immigration and economic empowerment matters only)
- Advocates on behalf of clients with court personnel, evaluators, and agencies
- Gathers evidence in protective order, divorce, custody, and other cases to formulate defense or to initiate legal action
- Conducts research, interviews clients, and witnesses and handles other details in preparation for trial
- Prepares and files/e-files legal pleadings, immigration documents, and briefs and develops strategies, arguments and testimony in preparation for trial
- Interprets laws, rulings, and regulations for individuals
- Maintains accurate and up-to-date records, docketing, and statistics on all clients
- Assumes responsibility of scheduled and unscheduled Helpline calls
- Assist with unscheduled clients/walk-ins
- Provides administrative support for the Legal Services Program and supervises the legal team in the absence of the Director of Legal Services
- Assists the Director of Legal Services in grant applications and reports as requested
- Assists the Director of Legal Services in the development and implementation of legal procedures
- Provides training within and outside of the Legal Services Program as requested
- Assists with the administrative closing of legal client files
- Participates in the Harford County Family Law Committee and the Harford County Bar Association meetings as a SARC representative when possible
- Other duties as assigned
- Assists the Director of Legal Services in the supervision of the Legal Services staff and interns
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- Graduate of an ABA Accredited Law School with a Juris Doctorate and knowledge of civil, criminal, and domestic law.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
- Must be a member in good standing of Maryland Bar.
Salary range $49,500-$56,000
How To Apply
Please send cover letter and resume to email@example.com