Maryland Legal Aid
December 16, 2021
Maryland Legal Aid (MLA) announces an immediate opening for a full-time paralegal in the Montgomery County Office. Under the supervision of an attorney, paralegals are generally expected to handle all functions related to casework from initial intake through representation of clients at administrative and other hearings permitted by law. Paralegals may be expected to work together with attorneys on cases or projects including work on the paralegal’s cases as well as the attorneys’ cases. Some paralegals may perform exclusively or primarily non-casework functions.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Screen clients for eligibility and make referrals.
- Perform intakes and, when necessary and appropriate, make referrals to other legal and non-legal resources.
- Conduct preliminary and follow-up interviews with clients and witnesses.
- Conduct factual investigations and analysis and legal research.
- Perform litigation support, such as preparing discovery, drafting pleadings, correspondences, and other documents, and supporting attorneys at trail.
- Assist in the development of case theory and strategy for the representation of clients.
- Provide administrative support, including scheduling appointments, hearings etc.
- Conduct community and organizational outreach and education.
- Perform other duties, as assigned; within the scope of the essential functions of the position.
- A minimum of one (1) year experience as a paralegal.
- Proficient written and oral communication skills.
- An understanding of client confidentiality.
- Knowledge of office procedures and office technology including Microsoft Office.
- Strong customer service skills and the ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Commitment to the mission of Maryland Legal Aid
- Spanish language proficiency is desirable.
$36,414 and up depending on experience.
How To Apply
Requisition ID: 1958
Apply for Paralegal using the link below:
**A RESUME AND COVER LETTER ARE REQUIRED TO APPLY FOR THIS POSITION**