Intake Legal Advocate
Maryland Volunteer Lawyers Service
Other Staff, Paralegal
September 8, 2022
Maryland Volunteer Lawyers Service (MVLS), founded in 1981, is the oldest and largest volunteer legal services organization in Maryland. The mission of MVLS is to remove barriers to justice through free civil legal help, community engagement, and advocacy for equitable laws. Our vision is for a fair legal system that is free of injustice and equitably serves underrepresented Marylanders. We achieve this goal primarily through our core pro bono program and more targeted programs that serve specialized legal needs. For more program information, visit our website: www.mvlslaw.org. This position focuses on screening clients for acceptance into the MVLS program and matching them with volunteers.
MVLS’ core values are teamwork, passion for MVLS’ mission, commitment to clients, volunteers, and community partners, initiative and commitment to eliminate systemic barriers to justice based on race and economic disparities. MVLS is committed to fostering an inclusive culture in the workplace. Our work to end barriers to justice starts with increasing the racial diversity of our staff to better reflect the communities we serve.
- Provide intake services, primarily through phone intake, to potential MVLS clients
- Review applications received through telephone and online intake
- Screen applicants for income eligibility, case type, and Maryland County of legal dispute
- Contact volunteers to place eligible client cases
- Use LegalServer database to manage documents and paperwork associated with cases, e.g., client applications, court documents, financial eligibility documents, important correspondence, and invoices or requests for reimbursement.
- Develop proficiency using LegalServer database, especially with respect to client and volunteer-related data entry and document management.
- Troubleshoot client or volunteer disputes and report to the Pro Bono Program Manager and Director of Program Management for resolution
- Participate in pro bono program outreach activities and MVLS’ special events that may include occasional weekend and evening work
- Other administrative duties as assigned
- Client-centered customer service skills are essential to success in this position.
- Excellent computer, data entry, and organization skills
- Must be detail-oriented
- Must possess ability to deal with difficult callers in crisis
- Works well with others; a team player
- Strong written and oral communication skills essential
- Spanish language skills a plus
Experience & Education:
- 2 years of administrative, customer service, or legal experience
- 2 years of college or paralegal certificate from accredited institution is a plus
- Computer and data entry experience required
- Proficient in Microsoft Office suite of programs, i.e., Outlook, Word, Excel.
- Demonstrated commitment to underserved communities
Compensation & Benefits
Salary range is $37,000 – $42,000 per year commensurate on experience with excellent benefits including: 3 health insurance plans to choose from (MVLS fully covers the monthly premium for 2 of them), dental and vision insurance, a flexible spending plan to reimburse employees with pre-tax dollars for out of pocket medical expenses, group life insurance, accidental death and dismemberment insurance, short and long term disability coverage, a 403(b) retirement plan with a 2% match and the possibility of an additional contribution from MVLS, a monthly commuter stipend equal to the value of an MTA pass, 20 vacation days, 2 personal days,10 sick days and 14 paid holidays per year.
This position is currently partially remote and partially in office due to the Covid-19 pandemic. When MVLS determines that conditions permit employees to return to the office full time, this will generally be an in-office position.
How To Apply
Hiring & Interview Process
Submit a cover letter, resume, and three professional references from employers or school via email with “Intake Legal Advocate” in the subject line to email@example.com by 4 weeks from when application is posted. Applicants are encouraged to address the core values stated at the top of this job posting in their cover letters.
Please, no telephone calls.
This application was posted on September 6, 2022. MVLS generally begins scheduling interviews after the four week application window has ended. Initial interviews with the hiring committee are scheduled for 45 minutes. For advancing candidates, a second 60 minute interview is held with the hiring committee and the Executive Director. Interview questions are provided in advance. Reference checks are made for final candidates. The interview process generally takes about four weeks.
MVLS is an equal opportunity employer. MVLS does not discriminate against any applicant for employment or any employee on the basis of race, nationality, ethnicity, age, religion, disability status, sex assigned at birth, gender identity, gender presentation, sexual orientation, or immigration status.