Director of Housing Justice
Homeless Persons Representation Project
January 31, 2024
The Homeless Persons Representation Project (HPRP) seeks a passionate and motivated advocate to serve as the Director of Housing Justice, leading a small and dedicated team working to prevent the displacement of tenants and combat homelessness.
Who We Are: HPRP is an organization that advances housing justice and works towards ending homelessness in Maryland. Our services include outreach, education, and free civil legal services to the unhoused or unstably housed. We also work to eliminate barriers to housing and employment posed by criminal records. HPRP values collaboration with persons who have lived experience of homelessness, recognizing that they have the power and expertise to determine solutions to systemic issues affecting their lives.
The Director of Housing Justice Position: The Housing Justice team of HPRP provides direct representation, community-based education and outreach, and advocacy for the housing rights of low-income community members. The Director will:
- Build, manage, and supervise a 3-person team of attorneys and paralegals.
- Provide guidance, mentorship, professional development, and technical assistance to team members.
- Serve as a reliable and engaged team member within HPRP, including engaging in ongoing race equity work.
- Assist with grant compliance and reporting.
- Engage in legislative advocacy and policy initiatives related to homelessness, tenants’ rights, and eviction at the local and state level.
- Lead community outreach initiatives including creating and distributing educational materials, conducting client outreach, and engaging in know your rights presentations on housing law.
- Provide zealous representation in matters including eviction defense, subsidized housing rights, subsidy terminations, access to shelter and housing, and housing discrimination.
- Juris Doctorate (J.D.) degree from an accredited law school.
- Admitted to practice in the State of Maryland or admitted to another jurisdiction and eligible for admission in the State of Maryland. Out-of-State attorneys must be able and available to take the next scheduled bar exam following the date of employment.
- Experience working with people living in poverty or experiencing homelessness.
- 7 years of legal experience in positions of increasing responsibility.
- Experience as a team leader or supervisor
- Experience practicing housing law.
- Experience working on legislative advocacy and policy initiatives.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity and social justice by using a personal approach that values all individuals and respects differences.
- Excellent analytical and writing skills, including effectively communicating complex legal issues.
- Superior organizational and project management skills.
- Ability to set priorities and handle multiple tasks in a demanding environment.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- Aptitude for leadership, mentorship, and inclusive supervision.
The minimum starting salary for this position is $108,568. This figure represents the base threshold, and HPRP enthusiastically recognizes and rewards experience. Accordingly, your final starting salary may be adjusted upwards to reflect the depth and relevance of your professional experience.
HPRP has a 35-hour workweek, and flexible scheduling when appearing in court or at other program locations is not required.
In addition, there are personal incentives, including comprehensive health and retirement plan options. HPRP’s package of benefits includes full health coverage (medical, prescription, dental) and a contribution toward family coverage; short- and long-term disability insurance; life insurance; 403(b) plan (employer supplemental salary contribution determined annually); paid vacation, sick, and personal leave; and up to 12 weeks of paid Medical and Family leave.
How To Apply
If you’re interested in applying for the position of Director of Housing Justice, please send a cover letter and a detailed resume highlighting your interest and qualifications to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please send these items as PDF attachments and make sure to mention “Director of Housing Justice” in the subject line.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
Homeless Persons Representation Project, Inc (HPRP) is committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment. Accordingly, all terms and conditions of employment will be carried out without regard to race, creed, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, nationality, marital status, age, or disability. HPRP will not tolerate acts deemed to constitute discrimination or harassment based on gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, race, creed, color, religion, national origin, marital status, age, disability, or any other characteristic protected by law.