Maryland Volunteer Lawyers Service
August 1, 2022
About MVLS: Maryland Volunteer Lawyers Service (MVLS), founded in 1981, is the oldest and largest volunteer legal services organization in Maryland. The mission of MVLS is to remove barriers to justice through free civil legal help, community engagement, and advocacy for equitable laws. Our vision is for a fair legal system that is free of injustice and equitably serves underrepresented Marylanders. We achieve this goal primarily through our core pro bono program and more targeted programs that serve specialized legal needs. For more program information, visit our website: www.mvlslaw.org.
MVLS’ core values are teamwork, passion for the mission, commitment to clients, volunteers, and community partners, initiative, and commitment to eliminate systemic barriers to justice based on race and economic disparities. MVLS is committed to fostering an inclusive culture in the workplace. Our work to end barriers to justice starts with increasing the racial diversity of our staff to better reflect the communities we serve.
Summary: Immediate opening for a part-time, temporary development assistant to support the fundraising and administrative activities of MVLS from August 2022 through November 2022. The Development Assistant’s responsibilities include gift entry and acknowledgement, data entry, database management, donor stewardship, and assisting with special mailings and events.
- Enter all charitable gifts promptly and accurately in DonorPerfect database
- Prepare and print timely and accurate acknowledgement letters for all gifts
- Prepare weekly gift report for Director of Development and Executive Director
- Support donor stewardship through professional phone calls, emails, and other communications
- Maintain up-to-date donor records and donor mailing lists, including by conducting donor/prospect research
- Prepare materials to support in-house mailings
- Assist Director of Development in preparing for annual stewardship event
The MVLS office is located in Baltimore, MD. This position is currently partially remote, but qualified candidates will have the option to work fully remote.
- Excellent computer skills, including proficiency in Outlook, Microsoft Office Suite (especially Excel), e-marketing software, and donor database systems. Specific experience with DonorPerfect, LegalServer, and/or Constant Contact a plus.
- Ability to work independently and with a team
- Careful attention to detail
- Candidate must adhere to high ethical standards of integrity and discretion in working with confidential donor and client information.
- Strong time management and organization skills
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Experience with data entry and data management required
- Associate degree or at least 2 years of commensurate experience preferred
- Commitment to MVLS’ mission of providing access to justice for all demonstrated through work experience, lived experience or volunteer experience.
Compensation is $25 per hour for 20 hours per week paid bi-weekly.
How To Apply
Please email a resume and at least three professional references with the words “Development Assistant” in the subject line to email@example.com. No telephone calls, please.
This application was posted on August 1, 2022. Please submit your resume for consideration no later than August 19, 2022. We will reach out to qualified candidates to schedule a 60-minute interview. Because of the temporary nature of this position, we will begin scheduling interviews immediately after posting the job with the goal of filling this position as soon as possible.
MVLS is an equal opportunity employer. MVLS does not discriminate against any applicant for employment or any employee on the basis of race, nationality, ethnicity, age, religion, disability status, sex assigned at birth, gender identity, gender presentation, sexual orientation, or immigration status.