Maryland Center for Legal Assistance
October 27, 2022
Maryland Center for Legal Assistance (MCLA) seeks to close the gap in legal services in Maryland by providing brief legal advice from lawyers to unrepresented litigants with civil legal issues. MCLA, through a contract with the Maryland Judiciary, operates Court Help Centers throughout Maryland to provide legal advice to civil litigants in person and over phone, chat, email and videoconference.
The Help Centers deal with a wide range of civil legal matters, including landlord-tenant, consumer matters such as debt collection and credit card cases, child support, and criminal record expungements to remove barriers to obtaining housing, employment, and child custody.
Maryland Center for Legal Assistance (MCLA) announces an immediate opening for a full-time Supervising Attorney position for qualified applicants in the District Court Help Center located in Catonsville, Maryland. Successful candidates will demonstrate an ability to handle a broad range of duties in a timely manner.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Supervise daily work of staff and provide feedback, formal and informal, as needed.
- Assist supervisory team with hiring, data reporting, developing internal resources, and trainings.
- Provide brief legal advice and information to self-represented litigants in connection with civil legal issues including Landlord and Tenant matters, Civil Claims, Expungement and Shielding of Records, Consumer Matters, Return of Property, Domestic Violence/Peace Orders, Family Law, and Foreclosure.
- Assist self-represented litigants in drafting their pleadings and motions, preparing for trial, completing court forms, and understanding court documents and the law.
- Provide referrals to appropriate legal service organizations, agencies, and lawyer referral services whenever appropriate.
- Primary hours are 8:30am – 4:30pm, but will be required to staff evening hours on occasion and be on-call for supervisory issues as needed.
- Be able to provide support to MCLA’s other offices as needed.
- Admitted to practice in the State of Maryland.
- Three or more years of litigation experience and demonstrated supervisory experience.
- Flexible and supportive team member, able to transition quickly from one task to another.
- Ability to conduct rapid legal research.
- Strong customer service skills, including ability to emphasize and assist people who are distressed and communicate complex legal concepts in simple terms.
- Fluency in Spanish strongly preferred.
PHYSICAL AND MENTAL DEMANDS
- Use of manual dexterity, tactile, visual, and audio acuity.
- Use of repetitive motion of hands, wrists and feet, prolonged periods of sitting and standing, and sustained visual and mental applications and demands.
- Occasional lifting up to 10 pounds, bending, kneeling pulling, and carrying.
Work duties are typically performed in a general office setting with regular interaction via telephone, videoconference, instant messaging and email, and in-person. Certain work duties may be performed in community settings.
The salary range for this position is $78, 987.00 – $103, 105.00. In addition, MLA provides employees with a generous benefits package that includes health, dental, vision, life insurance, a 401(k) retirement plan, 2 weeks paid time off, paid sick leave, 14 annual paid holidays, and more! Eligibility to apply for the Maryland Janet L. Hoffman Loan Assistance Repayment Program (LARP).
How To Apply
- Please submit a resume, legal writing sample, and cover letter describing your interest and qualifications with your online application.
- References will be required at time of the final interview.
- No telephone calls please. Position will remain open until filled.
Maryland Center for Legal Assistance is committed to equity, justice and inclusion. As an equal opportunity employer, Maryland Center for Legal Assistance seeks to hire employees from diverse backgrounds and perspectives that are reflective of the communities we serve, including people with disabilities, people of color, women, and members of traditionally underrepresented groups.
Apply for Supervising Attorney using the link below: