Supervising Attorney – Community Lawyering Initiative
Maryland Legal Aid
September 30, 2021
Maryland Legal Aid (MLA) provides life-changing civil legal assistance to eligible residents in every part of the State. Since 1911, MLA has provided high-quality legal services to low-income, and marginalized individuals and communities–helping them remedy their civil legal issues and become empowered to overcome challenges, achieve stability and independence, and an overall better life.
MLA is dedicated to preserving the basic human needs and basic human rights of clients, particularly as they navigate the justice system. MLA staff, pro bono attorneys, community partners, and general supporters all play important roles in ensuring that the legal playing field is leveled so that those most in need achieve equal access to justice. It is because of this diverse support that MLA is able to be a voice to tens of thousands of economically disadvantaged and vulnerable Marylanders every year.
This is a statewide position headquartered in MLA’s Baltimore City office. CLI focuses on providing civil legal services in community spaces. The Supervising Attorney will oversee legal staff and collaborate with community stakeholders to deliver high quality legal assistance to low-income people. The Supervising Attorney reports to the CLI Chief Attorney.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide positive, forward-thinking leadership to staff attorneys, paralegals, administrative support staff, law clerks, and interns.
- Assist with recruitment of talented and mission-oriented staff.
- Ensure that effective, competent legal assistance is provided to low-income clients in a client-centered and compassionate manner.
- Guide the professional development of staff, including co-counseling of cases; reviewing substantive legal work; conducting case reviews; providing meaningful evaluations, and address training needs.
- Conduct impactful and innovative advocacy designed to address systemic problems affecting low-income persons.
- Utilize case management software to address needs based on data.
- Engage with and, where appropriate, develop new relationships and participate with community leaders, bar associations, and partner organizations.
- Collaborate with MLA’s pro bono unit to increase pro bono participation at clinics.
- Assist with CLI’s grant portfolio, including identifying possible funding sources, making presentations to funders, drafting of grant applications, ensuring grant compliance and preparing progress reports.
- Assist with and manage the scheduling of clinics, community office hours, and community outreach.
- Develop referral systems with community partners.
- Assist with CLI’s social media presence. Carry a personal caseload that accounts for supervisory responsibilities.
- Participate in statewide task forces and statewide advocacy efforts.
- Assume the duties of the Chief Attorney when the Chief Attorney is on leave.
- Perform other duties as assigned within the scope of the essential functions of the position.
J.D. degree and admission to practice in the State of Maryland, or admitted in another jurisdiction and eligible for admission in the State of Maryland. A minimum of five years of legal experience with at least three years of direct experience in legal services, public defense, or the equivalent. Prior supervisory or leadership experience is preferred. Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Familiarity with case management software and Office 365.
$56,7656 and up depending on experience.
How To Apply
Apply for Supervising Attorney – Community Lawyering Initiative using the link below:
A RESUME AND COVER LETTER ARE REQUIRED TO APPLY FOR THIS POSITION