Supervising Attorney – Adult Protective Services and Adult Public Guardianship Review Board – SAS (2075)
Maryland Legal Aid
September 21, 2022
Supervising Attorney – APS & Guardianship Review Board
Statewide Advocacy Support, Baltimore, MD, US
Maryland Legal Aid (MLA) provides life-changing civil legal assistance to eligible residents in every part of the State. Since 1911, MLA has provided high-quality legal services to low-income, and marginalized individuals and communities–helping them remedy their civil legal issues and become empowered to overcome challenges, achieve stability and independence, and an overall better life.
MLA is dedicated to preserving the basic human needs and basic human rights of clients, particularly as they navigate the justice system. MLA staff, pro bono attorneys, community partners, and general supporters all play important roles in ensuring that the legal playing field is leveled so that those most in need achieve equal access to justice. It is because of this diverse support that MLA is able to be a voice to tens of thousands of economically disadvantaged and vulnerable Marylanders every year.
MLA announces an immediate opening for full-time Guardianship Supervising Attorney and Internal Monitor of the MLA contract and guardianship attorney positions in the Annapolis, Baltimore, Statewide Advocacy Support and Prince George’s County offices.
This position will assist and counsel the MLA contract program officer and the MLA Statewide Advocate on Administrative Law in the oversight and coordination of MLA’s contract with the State of Maryland to provide representation of Indigent Adults involved in Adult Protective Services and Adult Public Guardianship Review Board (APS), in the various Circuit Courts, review hearings, appeals and other related matters. The supervisor and monitor attorney shall provide counsel to the MLA Statewide Advocate on Administrative Law concerning administration of the contract including but not limited to recruitment of staff attorneys, coordinating training, and submission of mandated reports to the state and assuming overall supervisory duties when the Statewide Advocate is unavailable. Participation in APS workgroup court meetings, Legal Aid Task Forces, and other internal Maryland Legal Aid committees is required. Tasks assigned to supervisory attorney and internal monitor may include any or all of, but are not necessarily limited to the following:
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Represent clients as assigned and scheduled by the court in any of the counties associated with the contract;
- Conduct preliminary and subsequent interviews/visits with clients.
- Conduct factual investigation and analysis and legal research.
- Advise clients of results of investigation and research and counsel clients regarding their options.
- Draft pleadings to include complaints, answers, and counter-complaints, etc.
- Draft memoranda of law, briefs, etc.
- Develop case theory and strategy for the representation of clients.
- Prepare cases and represent clients during negotiations and in hearings, trials, and appeals.
- In conjunction with the project administrator and any chief attorneys, work with various community groups and accept speaking engagements.
- Continue professional development and education through attendance at trainings and other programs sponsored by the Maryland Legal Aid.
- Maintain case records for clients in the LegalServer case management system.
- Perform other duties as assigned within the scope of the essential functions of the position.
- Juris Doctorate (J.D.) degree from an accredited law school.
- Admitted to practice in the State of Maryland, or admitted in another jurisdiction and eligible for admission in the State of Maryland. Out-of-State attorneys must be able and available to take next scheduled bar exam following date of employment.
- Minimum of 10 years legal experience and at least 5 years supervisory experience.
- Working knowledge of WestLaw Edge research.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Involvement in the community and leadership experience.
Schedule, Travel, Salary and Benefits
The salary range for this position is $78, 987.00 – $103, 105.00. In addition, MLA provides employees with a generous benefits package that includes health, dental, vision, life insurance, a 401(k) retirement plan, 2 weeks paid time off, paid sick leave, 14 annual paid holidays, and more! Future flexibility regarding a hybrid work arrangement is a possibility after the on-boarding period. Eligibility to apply for the Maryland Janet L. Hoffman Loan Assistance Repayment Program (LARP).
How To Apply
Maryland Legal Aid is committed to equity, justice and inclusion. As an equal opportunity employer, MLA seeks to hire employees from diverse backgrounds and perspectives that are reflective of the communities we serve, including people with disabilities, people of color, women and members of traditionally underrepresented groups.
Apply for Supervising Attorney – APS & Guardianship Review Board using the link below: