Staff Attorney – Veterans/Farmer
Maryland Legal Aid
September 24, 2021
A RESUME AND COVER LETTER ARE REQUIRED TO APPLY FOR THIS POSITION
Maryland Legal Aid (MLA) provides life-changing civil legal assistance to eligible residents in every part of the State. Since 1911, MLA has provided high-quality legal services to low-income, and marginalized individuals and communities–helping them remedy their civil legal issues and become empowered to overcome challenges, achieve stability and independence, and an overall better life.
MLA is dedicated to preserving the basic human needs and basic human rights of clients, particularly as they navigate the justice system. MLA staff, pro bono attorneys, community partners, and general supporters all play important roles in ensuring that the legal playing field is leveled so that those most in need achieve equal access to justice. It is because of this diverse support that MLA is able to be a voice to tens of thousands of economically disadvantaged and vulnerable Marylanders every year.
The Veterans/Farmworker Attorney focuses on employment and migrant farmworker law in all jurisdictions in the State where growers employ H2A and other types of migrant workers and veterans benefit cases benefits and military law matter pertaining to former and current military service members, their spouses and family members including discharge, pension and other benefits. This is a state-wide position that performs all essential functions of a Staff Attorney with significant state-wide and regional outreach.
Advocacy related duties include outreach to farm labor camps throughout Maryland and Delaware, motels where transient farmworkers stay while in Maryland and areas in which farmworkers are starting to “settle out” as they seek less migratory work. Legal Aid expects the attorney to pursue non-litigation advocacy such as community economic development projects to address the unmet needs of seasonal and migrant workers and to work closely with community-based groups and social service organizations that serve seasonal and migrant workers. Successful candidates will demonstrate an ability to handle a broad range of duties in a timely manner. Please find below a summary of the job description.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Screen clients for eligibility and make referrals, as appropriate.
- Conduct preliminary and subsequent interviews with clients.
- Conduct factual investigation and analysis as well as legal research.
- Advise clients of results of investigation and research and counsel clients regarding their options.
- Draft pleadings to include complaints, answers, and counter-complaints, etc.
- Draft memoranda of law, briefs, etc.
- Develop case theory and strategy for the representation of clients.
- Prepare cases and represent clients during negotiations and in hearings, trials, and appeals.
- Work with various community groups and accept speaking engagements as assigned by supervisor and chief.
- Continue professional development and education through attendance at trainings and other programs sponsored by Maryland Legal Aid.
- Act as a liaison between clients and private attorney involvement (PAI) programs.
- Maintain case records for clients in the LegalServer case management system.
- Perform other duties as assigned within the scope of the essential functions of the position.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Admitted to practice in the State of Maryland, or admitted in another jurisdiction and eligible for admission in the State of Maryland. Out-of-State attorneys must be able and available to take next scheduled bar exam following date of employment. Certified to practice in Veterans Administration proceedings or able to become certified after hire. Experienced in working with pro bono lawyers and volunteers. Demonstrated commitment to working in a public interest law firm assisting low-income persons. Ability to spend time traveling throughout Maryland and Delaware, especially on the Eastern Shore. Spanish-speaking fluency is preferred, but not required.
Salary range: $56,765 and up depending on experience.
How To Apply
Apply for Staff Attorney using the link below: