Staff Attorney, Community Lawyering Initiative
Maryland Legal Aid
May 20, 2022
Maryland Legal Aid (MLA) announces an immediate opening for a full-time Staff Attorney position in its Community Lawyering Initiative unit. As part of CLI’s Maryland Workforce Legal Services program, the attorney will provide civil legal services to eligible clients at workforce development sites. In addition to providing brief advice and counsel in areas of substantive law within MLA’s priorities, i.e. housing, consumer, public benefits, and family law, the attorney will provide representation for criminal record expungements, make appropriate referrals for extended representation in other areas of law, and develop community education presentations. The attorney will be expected to build relationships with other groups to identify needs and, where warranted, provide legal education and representation.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Screen clients for eligibility and make referrals, as appropriate.
- Conduct preliminary and subsequent interviews with clients.
- Conduct factual investigation and analysis as well as legal research.
- Advise clients of results of investigation and research and counsel clients regarding their options.
- Draft pleadings to include complaints, answers, and counter-complaints, etc.
- Draft memoranda of law, briefs, etc.
- Develop case theory and strategy for the representation of clients.
- Prepare cases and represent clients during negotiations and in hearings, trials, and appeals.
- Work with various community groups and accept speaking engagements as assigned by supervisor and chief.
- Continue professional development and education through attendance at trainings and other programs sponsored by Maryland Legal Aid.
- Act as a liaison between clients and private attorney involvement (PAI) programs.
- Maintain case records for clients in the LegalServer case management system.
- Statewide outreach to the Veterans community and community organizations.
- Perform other duties as assigned within the scope of the essential functions of the position.
Admission to Maryland Bar or another state bar and eligibility and willingness to take the first available Maryland Bar examination. One to three years of legal experience, preferably in the delivery of civil legal services to low-income clients. Able to travel statewide. Flexibility in terms of work hours to include evenings and weekends. Spanish language proficiency highly preferred.
$57,900.00 and up depending on experience.
How To Apply
Apply for Staff Attorney using the link below:
**A RESUME AND COVER LETTER ARE REQUIRED TO APPLY FOR THIS POSITION**