Sexual Assault Legal Institute (SALI)
Silver Spring, MD + Temporarily remote
November 9, 2022
The Maryland Coalition Against Sexual Assault (MCASA) is Maryland’s sexual assault coalition and includes the State’s rape crisis centers and others concerned with ending sexual violence. Our mission is to help prevent sexual assault, advocate for accessible, compassionate care for survivors of sexual violence, and work to hold offenders accountable.
We believe we cannot successfully serve others if we do not take care of ourselves. MCASA staff are encouraged to practice self-care and are supported in finding a positive work-life balance. This position, along with the rest of the agency, will entail significant virtual work and allows for flexible scheduling.
Employees are expected to be available to travel to the MCASA office in Silver Spring within 90 minutes or live within the State of Maryland. While many job duties may be performed virtually, some are in person. This may include on-site meetings, meetings with stakeholders or community members, court proceedings, or other in-person events. Employees may choose to work in the MCASA offices subject to COVID risk reduction protocols.
The Sexual Assault Legal Institute (SALI), a program within MCASA, provides comprehensive legal services to survivors of sexual violence, and technical assistance and training to professionals working with survivors. MCASA’s SALI is seeking a full-time Staff Attorney to assist victims of sexual assault and contribute to the development and administration of SALI services, outreach, and training. This position reports to the Managing Attorney or Supervising Attorney.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Provide legal services to victims of sexual assault, including assessment and referral, legal consultation, and representation in protective and peace order proceedings, family law cases, victim compensation proceedings, victim/witness representation in criminal cases, and other matters
- Develop and utilize skills to provide high quality and sensitive legal services that reflect a thorough assessment and awareness of clients’ social and cultural needs
- Provide or assure provision of safety planning for victims
- Maintain reasonable caseload in compliance with grant requirements and needs of office
- Review cases with SALI Managing Attorney and seek assistance when needed
- Conduct legal research
- Provide community outreach, technical assistance, and training
- Assist in production of training and technical assistance materials
- Assist in coordination and development of low bono/pro bono attorney network
- Collect data needed for grant reports or other reasons; assist in grant report preparation
- Assist in recruiting and supervision of legal interns and other SALI staff
- Prioritize and fulfill responsibilities in accordance with available funding and grant requirements
- Comply with Maryland Rules of Professional Conduct
- Such other duties as assigned by the Managing Attorney and Executive Director
Full description: https://mcasa.org/who-we-are/jobs-internships
- J.D. from accredited law school
- Must be admitted to Maryland bar–Attorneys currently licensed in another State may be eligible for admission under Maryland Rule 19-218 (temporary admission for public interest attorneys licensed out of state) and must promptly seek permanent admission
- Access to a car and valid driver’s license; this position requires some travel within the State of Maryland
- 3 years litigation experience and/or judicial clerkship preferred
- Performing arts or debating experience preferred
- Knowledge and/or previous work experience with sexual assault related issues preferred
- Family law or immigration experience preferred
High 50’s – Mid 60’s, DOE and bar status