Staff Attorney – Montgomery County
Maryland Legal Aid
October 19, 2021
Maryland Legal Aid (MLA) announces an immediate opening for a full-time Staff Attorney position in its Montgomery County office, under the supervision of a chief attorney and a supervising attorney. This position handles all functions related to case work from initial intake through representation of clients before all relevant agencies, courts, etc. Staff attorneys may be expected to work with other attorneys, law graduates, legal assistants/paralegals, social workers, and students on cases or projects. Maintain case files in accordance with Maryland Legal Aid standards. Successful candidates will demonstrate an ability to handle a broad range of duties in a timely manner. Please find below a summary of the job description.
- Screen clients for eligibility and make referrals, as appropriate.
- Conduct preliminary and subsequent interviews with clients.
- Conduct factual investigation and analysis as well as legal research.
- Advise clients of results of investigation and research and counsel clients regarding their options.
- Draft pleadings to include complaints, answers, and counter-complaints, etc.
- Draft memoranda of law, briefs, etc.
- Develop case theory and strategy for the representation of clients.
- Prepare cases and represent clients during negotiations and in hearings, trials, and appeals.
- Work with various community groups and accept speaking engagements as assigned by supervisor and chief.
- Continue professional development and education through attendance at trainings and other programs sponsored by Maryland Legal Aid.
- Act as a liaison between clients and private attorney involvement (PAI) programs.
- Maintain case records for clients in the LegalServer case management system.
- Perform other duties as assigned within the scope of the essential functions of the position.
Admitted to practice in the State of Maryland, or admitted in another jurisdiction and eligible for admission in the State of Maryland. Out-of-State attorneys must be able and available to take next scheduled bar exam following date of employment. Spanish or other foreign language proficiency desirable. Experience in the areas of family, housing, elder and/or consumer law strongly preferred.
$56,675 and up depending on experience.
How To Apply
Apply for Staff Attorney using the link below: https://workforcenow.adp.com/mascsr/default/mdf/recruitment/recruitment.html?cid=9156664a-1a51-4897-90b5-51213a0ce138&ccId=19000101_000001&jobId=427609&lang=en_US&source=CC4
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER