Staff Attorney – Maryland Workforce Legal Services – Allegany/Garrett County – 2027
Maryland Legal Aid
June 1, 2022
Maryland Legal Aid (MLA) announces the availability of a full-time staff attorney position in its Allegany/Garrett Maryland office, located in Cumberland, Maryland. Maryland Legal Aid has been awarded a one-year renewable grant to provide legal services to job training participants in and around the city of Cumberland and the western Maryland counties. The Maryland Workforce Legal Services project attorney will conduct “legal check-ups” of participants of the training programs, file petitions to expunge criminal records where appropriate, address other civil legal needs of participants, and develop expertise in child support matters and other substantive areas identified as creating barriers to achieving meaningful employment. The attorney will work closely with the Western Maryland American Job Center, located in Cumberland, and with various other partners throughout the western Maryland region.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Screen training program participants for eligibility and make referrals, as appropriate;
- Conduct preliminary and subsequent interviews with participants and administer “legal checkups” to comprehensively assess participants’ needs for civil legal services;
- Conduct factual investigations, analysis, and legal research;
- Advise clients of results of investigations and research and counsel clients about their options;
- Prepare legal documents, including but, not limited to, correspondence, pleadings, motions, discovery, memoranda of law, briefs, and other legal documents;
- Develop case theories and strategies for the representation of clients.
Admitted to practice in the State of Maryland or admitted in another jurisdiction and immediately eligible for admission in the State of Maryland. Strong knowledge of Westlaw research. Excellent writing skills.
$57,900 and up depending on experience.
How To Apply
Apply for Staff Attorney using the link below:
**A RESUME AND COVER LETTER ARE REQUIRED TO APPLY FOR THIS POSITION**
Equal Opportunity Employer