Staff Attorney – Maryland Practice
Asian Pacific American Legal Resource Center
Washington, DC - Temporarily Remote
August 30, 2021
- Provide legal advice and direct representation services to Maryland residents primarily in the areas of family law, with a particular focus on assisting survivors of domestic violence.
- Supervise law student interns, including assigning tasks and providing student feedback.
- Conduct virtual and/or walk-in intake sessions at community-based organizations in Montgomery County, Maryland.
- Conduct Know Your Rights seminars on legal topics relevant to the Asian immigrant community.
- Cultivate and maintain relationships with private attorneys to promote pro bono opportunities.
- Maintain partnerships with local government, community-based organizations, faith-based organizations and other entities in Maryland to promote the APALRC and its legal services.
- Participate in outreach events to promote the APALRC and its legal services.
- Licensed to practice law in Maryland required. Out-of-State attorneys must be able to waive into the Maryland bar and/or available to sit for the next scheduled bar examination following date of employment.
- 1-3 years of legal experience, preferably with a background in family law.
- Licensed to practice law in the District of Columbia and/or Virginia, or able to waive into the District of Columbia or Virginia Bar strongly preferred but not required.
- Demonstrated commitment to public interest law and social justice advocacy.
- Fluency in an Asian language, particularly Cantonese, Mandarin, Korean, or Vietnamese strongly preferred.
- Experience working with immigrant communities, low-income individuals and those with limited English proficiency strongly preferred.
- Experience working with Asian immigrant communities preferred but not required.
Salary $55,000+ depending on experience and in accordance with the APALRC’s salary scale. Fringe benefits include full health coverage (medical, dental and vision), long/short term disability, life insurance and paid vacation, personal, sick leave and holidays.
How To Apply
Submit a cover letter detailing your interest in the position and work experience, along with a résumé, brief writing sample (5-10 pages), and three professional references to Naznin Saifi at email@example.com. Please put “Maryland Staff Attorney Position” in the subject line of the email. No telephone inquiries, please.
For more information, visit https://www.apalrc.org/careers/