Maryland Legal Aid
July 28, 2022
Maryland Legal Aid (MLA) announces an immediate opening for one full-time Staff Attorney position in the Lower Eastern Shore office located in Salisbury, Maryland. This position handles all functions related to legal advocacy with a focus on Children in Need of Assistance (CINA) cases. The staff attorney’s responsibilities range from handling case in the juvenile court, appeals and other related forums. The staff attorney must attend required trainings for the CINA practice and participate in outreach activities and clinics. Participation in CINA Workgroup Court Meetings, Legal Aid Task Forces, and other internal Maryland Legal Aid committees is required. Tasks assigned to staff attorneys may include any or all of, but are not necessarily limited to the following:
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Represent clients as assigned by the court and make referrals, as appropriate.
- Conduct preliminary and subsequent interviews with clients.
- Conduct factual investigation and analysis as well as legal research.
- Advise clients of results of investigation and research and counsel clients regarding their options.
- Draft pleadings to include complaints, answers, and counter-complaints, etc.
- Draft memoranda of law, briefs, etc.
- Develop case theory and strategy for the representation of clients.
- Prepare cases and represent clients during negotiations and in hearings, trials, and appeals.
- Work with various community groups and accept speaking engagements as assigned by supervisors and chiefs.
- Continue professional development and education through attendance at trainings and other programs sponsored by the Maryland Legal Aid Bureau.
- Maintain case records for clients in the LegalServer case management system.
- Perform other duties as assigned within the scope of the essential functions of the position.
Admitted to practice in the State of Maryland, or admitted in another jurisdiction and eligible for admission in the State of Maryland. Out-of-State attorneys must be able and available to take next scheduled bar exam following date of employment. Spanish or other foreign language proficiency desirable. Strong knowledge of Westlaw Edge or other legal research software.
$57,900 and up depending on experience.
How To Apply
Maryland Legal Aid is committed to equity, justice and inclusion. As an equal opportunity employer, MLA seeks to hire employees from diverse backgrounds and perspectives that are reflective of the communities we serve, including people with disabilities, people of color, women and members of traditionally underrepresented groups.
Apply for Staff Attorney using the link below:
**A RESUME AND COVER LETTER ARE REQUIRED TO APPLY FOR THIS POSITION**