Maryland Legal Aid
Salisbury, MD (Hybrid)
March 31, 2023
Maryland Legal Aid (MLA) provides life-changing civil legal assistance to eligible residents in every part of the State. Since 1911, MLA has provided high-quality legal services to low-income, and marginalized individuals and communities–helping them remedy their civil legal issues and become empowered to overcome challenges, achieve stability and independence, and an overall better life.
MLA is dedicated to preserving the basic human needs and basic human rights of clients, particularly as they navigate the justice system. MLA staff, pro bono attorneys, community partners, and general supporters all play important roles in ensuring that the legal playing field is leveled so that those most in need achieve equal access to justice. It is because of this diverse support that MLA is able to be a voice to tens of thousands of economically disadvantaged and vulnerable Marylanders every year.
MLA announces an immediate opening for a full-time general practice staff attorney position for the Lower Eastern Shore office located in Salisbury, MD. This position handles all functions related to casework, from initial intake through representation of clients in all relevant courts and proceedings. Staff attorneys may be expected to work with other attorneys, law graduates, law clerks, legal assistants, paralegals, social workers, and students on cases or projects. Staff attorneys must maintain all case files in accordance with MLA standards and may be required to participate in community outreach and education, which will include collaborations with other attorneys at community outreach sites with the goal of identifying clients who need representation in court.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Screen clients for eligibility and make referrals, as appropriate. Perform administrative duties as needed by office.
- Conduct preliminary and subsequent interviews with clients.
- Conduct factual investigation and analysis as well as legal research.
- Advise clients of results of investigation and research and counsel clients regarding their options. Maintain case records for clients in the Legal Server case management system.
- Draft pleadings to include complaints, answers, and counter-complaints as well as memoranda of law, briefs, etc.
- Develop case theory and strategy for the representation of clients.
- Prepare cases and represent clients during negotiations and in hearings, trials, appeals and administrative proceedings.
- Work with various community groups, accept speaking engagements, attend outreaches, and draft outreach materials as assigned by the supervisor.
- Continue professional development and education through attendance at Legal Aid sponsored training and other programs.
- Perform other duties as assigned within the scope of the essential functions of the position.
- Juris Doctorate (J.D.) degree from an accredited law school.
- Admitted to practice in the State of Maryland or admitted in another jurisdiction and eligible for admission in the State of Maryland. Out-of-State attorneys must be able and available to take next scheduled bar exam following date of employment.
- Knowledge of principles of civil law, judicial procedures, and rules of evidence.
- Ability to use a computer, web-based applications, and computer programs such as Office 365 including Word, Outlook, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Excellent research, critical thinking, writing, and communication skills.
- Self-starter with ability to juggle multiple priorities and meet regular deadlines in a fast-paced environment while balancing a full workload.
- Ability to provide quality legal advocacy and representation for low-income, diverse client base.
- Ability to travel locally and regionally in Maryland as needed. Knowledge of Westlaw Edge or other legal research software is a plus.
The salary range for this position is $66,585 – $106,585. In addition, MLA provides employees with a generous benefits package that includes health, dental, vision, life insurance, a 401(k)-retirement plan, 2 weeks paid time off, paid sick leave, 14 annual paid holidays, and more! Future flexibility regarding a hybrid work arrangement is a possibility after the onboarding period. Eligibility to apply for the Maryland Janet L. Hoffman Loan Assistance Repayment Program (LARP).