Staff Attorney, Housing & Consumer
Maryland Volunteer Lawyers Service
December 15, 2022
Maryland Volunteer Lawyers Service (MVLS), founded in 1981, is the oldest and largest volunteer legal services organization in Maryland. MVLS removes barriers to justice through free civil legal help, community engagement, and advocacy for equitable laws. Our vision is for a fair legal system that is free of injustice and equitably serves underrepresented Marylanders. We achieve this goal primarily through our core pro bono program and more targeted programs that serve specialized legal needs. For more program information, visit our website: www.mvlslaw.org.
MVLS’s core values are teamwork, passion for MVLS’s mission, commitment to clients, volunteers, and community partners, initiative and commitment to eliminate systemic barriers to justice based on race and economic disparities. MVLS is committed to fostering an inclusive culture in the workplace. Our work to end barriers to justice starts with increasing the racial diversity of our staff to better reflect the communities we serve.
The staff attorney will support our housing/consumer program, which provides representation to clients with consumer matters (for example, bankruptcy, debt collection) and housing issues (for example, foreclosure, tax sale, ground rent and landlord/tenant). The position will handle a small caseload, provide support and mentorship to MVLS volunteer attorney pool, organize and conduct trainings on consumer and housing topics, recruit attorneys, conduct community engagement, engage in administrative and legislative advocacy and support overall consumer & housing law services at MVLS.
• Provide support and advice to volunteer attorneys, including answering questions, reviewing documents, assisting with drafting pleadings, conducting legal research on specific topics, attending court hearings and mediations with volunteer attorneys, and mentoring attorneys.
• Support weekly courthouse consumer clinic and monthly foreclosure brief advice clinics, including recruiting and scheduling volunteer attorneys, creating and updating clinic forms, and following up on settlements offered to creditors for clinic clients.
• Provide brief advice to foreclosure, tax sale and consumer clients at court and community-based legal clinics.
• Represent clients in consumer and foreclosure matters, including tax sales, bankruptcy, debt buyer defense and general consumer matters when volunteer attorneys are unavailable and to develop expertise.
• Conduct trainings for attorneys and community partners on consumer & housing related topics
• Client centered advocacy work with community partners and legislators.
• Conduct program outreach to community-based nonprofits and agencies providing services to our clients as needed.
• Develop self-help materials for pro se litigants.
• Prepare grant proposals and reporting on consumer and foreclosure specific grants.
• Other duties as assigned by the Deputy Director.
Full description: https://mvlslaw.org/about-us/careers/
• Strong written and oral communication skills.
• Strong time management and organizational skills.
• Able to work with diverse client population and private attorneys and to collaborate with legal partners and other community organizations and agencies.
• Ability to identify and resolve problems quickly
• Ability to work independently and with a team.
• J.D. from an accredited law school.
• Must be admitted to the Maryland Bar and in good standing. Admission to the Federal District Court in Maryland a plus.
• One year of housing and/or consumer law experience preferred.
• Spanish language proficiency is desirable.
• Demonstrated commitment to public interest.
• Strong computer skills, including Microsoft Office Suite and case management software.
• Demonstrated commitment through work experience, lived experience or volunteer experience to communities, such as: Children, Domestic workers, Economically disadvantaged people, Immigrants and refugees, Incarcerated and formerly incarcerated people, LGBTQ people, People of color, People with disabilities, People with HIV/AIDS, Sex workers, Victims of crime and abuse, and Women and girls.
Salary range is $55,000 – $65,000 commensurate on experience with excellent benefits including: 3 health insurance plans to choose from (MVLS fully covers the monthly premium for 2 of them), dental and vision insurance, a flexible spending plan to reimburse employees with pre-tax dollars for out of pocket medical and daycare expenses, group life insurance, accidental death and dismemberment insurance, short and long term disability coverage, a 403(b) retirement plan with a 2% match and the possibility of an additional contribution from MVLS, a monthly commuter stipend equal to the value of an MTA pass, 20 vacation days, 2 personal days,10 sick days and 14 paid holidays per year.
How To Apply
- Please email cover letter, resume, and three professional references to email@example.com with the subject line “Consumer & Housing Attorney” Applicants are encouraged to address the core values stated at the top of this job posting in their cover letters.
- Submissions should be received within 4 weeks from when the application is posted.
- Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
- No telephone calls, please.