Staff Attorney – General Legal Services
Maryland Legal Aid
June 7, 2021
Maryland Legal Aid (MLA) provides life-changing civil legal assistance to eligible residents in every part of the State. Since 1911, MLA has provided high-quality legal services to low-income, and marginalized individuals and communities–helping them remedy their civil legal issues and become empowered to overcome challenges, achieve stability and independence, and an overall better life.
MLA is dedicated to preserving the basic human needs and basic human rights of clients, particularly as they navigate the justice system. MLA staff, pro bono attorneys, community partners, and general supporters all play important roles in ensuring that the legal playing field is leveled so that those most in need achieve equal access to justice. It is because of this diverse support that MLA is able to be a voice to tens of thousands of economically disadvantaged and vulnerable Marylanders every year.
Responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to: Handling all functions related to case work from initial intake through representation of clients before all relevant agencies, courts, etc. Staff attorneys may be expected to work with other attorneys, law graduates, legal assistants/ paralegals, social workers, and students on cases or projects. Maintain case files in accordance with Maryland Legal Aid standards. Tasks assigned to staff attorneys may include any or all, but are not limited to the following:
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Screen clients for eligibility and make referrals, as appropriate.
- Conduct preliminary and subsequent interviews with clients.
- Conduct factual investigation and analysis, and legal research.
- Advise clients of results of investigation and research and counsel clients about their options.
- Prepare pleadings, including but not limited to, complaints, answers, memoranda of law, briefs, etc.
- Develop case theory and strategy for the representation of clients.
- Prepare cases and represent clients in negotiations, hearings, trials and appeals.
- Work with various community groups and accept speaking engagements as assigned by supervisor.
- Continue professional development and education through attendance at Maryland Legal Aid sponsored training and other programs.
- Perform other duties as assigned within the scope of the essential functions of the position.
Admitted to practice in the State of Maryland, or admitted in another jurisdiction and eligible for admission in the State of Maryland. A minimum of 2 years of legal experience is required. Strong knowledge of Lexis/Nexis research. Familiarity with case management software and Office 365. Spanish language proficiency desirable.
$56,765 and up depending on experience.
How To Apply
Apply for Staff Attorney using the link below:
A RESUME AND COVER LETTER ARE REQUIRED TO APPLY FOR THIS POSITION
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER