Staff Attorney for Collateral Legal Assistance for Survivors Project (CLAS)
The Women's Law Center of Maryland
Towson, MD and statewide
January 21, 2021
Office climate: Flexible, committed to excellence.
The Women’s Law Center of Maryland, Inc. (WLC) is a feminist, non-profit membership organization committed to ensuring equal rights for women. Through our Protective Order Advocacy and Representation (POARP) Projects we represent victims of intimate partner violence in proceedings to obtain Protective Orders, as well as other protective order proceedings as they arise, in the courts in Baltimore City, Baltimore County and Carroll County. Complementing POARP, our CLAS Project, represents survivors in other legal issues arising from the domestic violence, usually custody, divorce and/or other family law issues, as well as in protective orders. Representation in other counties as able. This is a full time litigation position. We are seeking a strong, experienced attorney dedicated to assisting survivors in their journey to independence and strength, who is capable of working independently and with a team. Benefits include but are not limited to Simple IRA match, health insurance coverage for employees, EAP services, and unlimited personal/vacation leave.
Duties and Responsibilities Include:
- Provide full legal representation and assistance for issues collateral to domestic violence, such as divorce and custody, landlord tenant, replevin, etc.
- Maintain caseload of clients for extended issues collateral to domestic violence.
- Travel between the various Women’s Law Center POARP project offices to provide coverage when and as needed assisting POARP Staff Attorneys in representing clients in final protective orders, modifications, contempt hearings and appeals (home office is in the Towson administrative office location).
- Use Legal Server case management system.
- Draft legal documents including, but not limited to, Petitions or Complaints, Answers, Motions, Orders, discovery, and correspondence. Represent clients throughout their case.
- Conduct in-depth client intake interviews and gather evidence as part of trial preparation.
- Work collaboratively with the project’s legal advocate in assessing eligibility for representation and best practices, as well as case management.
- Schedule interviews, perform administrative duties, develop and provide follow-up services and referrals to clients.
- Perform criminal accompaniments for survivors of domestic violence as schedule allows.
- Attend trainings and conferences as approved/directed by WLC to enhance knowledge of domestic violence law and family law.
- Provide training, orientation, and educational materials related to POARP and CLAS, as well as domestic violence generally, for members of the courthouse staff, the domestic violence prevention community, and other community groups as requested.
- Develop and prepare project data and reports. Participate in preparation of reports to grantors and requests for new funding. Maintain project files.
- As part of WLC team, provide occasional staffing for events for members, participate in project and membership development, attend and participate, as time permits, in committees, task forces, and policy-making bodies concerned with domestic violence and family law.
- Spanish fluency helpful but not required.
- Supervise interns when applicable.
- Other related duties as assigned.
1. J.D. from an accredited law school and an attorney in good standing with the Maryland Bar.
2. 3 years of litigation experience preferred, preferably litigation experience in Maryland related to family law, including domestic violence. Must be committed to expanding this knowledge through on-the-job and continuing education.
3. Must be a strong feminist dedicated to assisting survivors, including legal representation and all it entails, but also helping survivors to move forward and thrive.
4. Excellent judgment and strong interpersonal skills: must be creative, empathetic, and people oriented.
5. An understanding of the issues facing victims of domestic violence and women in Maryland family law. Commitment to providing excellent legal services for survivors of domestic violence.
6. Excellent written and oral communications skills. Must be fluent in English.
7. A demonstrated ability to handle multiple professional projects simultaneously and independently.
8. Must be flexible and a team player. CLAS consists of two attorneys and a legal advocate who work collaboratively.
9. Knowledge of or willingness to learn Legal Server.
10. Must have some knowledge of basic computer operation including Windows, Word, Excel, and MS Outlook.
11. Must complete tasks promptly and thoroughly without close supervision.
12. Must have own transportation.
Status: Full Time Professional, grant funded
Salary: $57,000-$60,000 dependent on experience level, with excellent benefits.
Benefits include but are not limited to Simple IRA match, health insurance coverage for employees, EAP services, and unlimited personal/vacation leave.
How To Apply
To apply, send cover letter and resume via e-mail to:
Laure Ruth, Legal Director
Women’s Law Center of Maryland, Inc.
305 West Chesapeake Avenue, Suite 201
Towson, Maryland 21204
Position open until filled. Accepting applications until filled.
Equal Opportunity Employment
The Women’s Law Center of Maryland considers the diversity of its workforce to be vital to our organization’s success in meeting its mission. We strongly encourage applicants from all cultures, races, life experiences, socio-economic classes, sexual orientations, age, gender, and physical abilities to apply. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, it is our policy not to discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, familial status, marital status, predisposing genetic characteristics, actual or perceived domestic violence victim status, unemployment status, caregiver status, or any other category protected by law.
If you require reasonable accommodations during any part of the hiring process, please email us at email@example.com.