Staff Attorney – Farmworker- Statewide Advocacy Support
Maryland Legal Aid
December 28, 2021
Maryland Legal Aid (MLA) announces an immediate opening for a full-time Staff Attorney position in its Statewide Advocacy Support unit. The Farmworker Attorney focuses on employment and migrant farmworker law in all jurisdictions in the State where growers employ H2A and other types of migrant workers. This is a state-wide position that performs all essential functions of a Staff Attorney with significant state-wide and regional outreach.
Advocacy related duties include outreach to farm labor camps throughout Maryland and Delaware, and temporary quarters where transient farmworkers stay. Maryland[BC1] Legal Aid expects the attorney to pursue non-litigation advocacy such as community economic development projects to address the unmet needs of seasonal and migrant workers and to work closely with community-based groups and social service organizations that serve seasonal and migrant workers. Successful candidates will demonstrate an ability to handle a broad range of duties in a timely manner. Please find below a summary of the job description.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Screen clients for eligibility and make referrals, as appropriate.
- Conduct preliminary and subsequent interviews with clients.
- Conduct factual investigation and analysis as well as legal research.
- Advise clients of results of investigation and research and counsel clients regarding their options.
- Draft pleadings to include complaints, answers, and counter-complaints, etc.
- Draft memoranda of law, briefs, etc.
- Develop case theory and strategy for the representation of clients.
- Prepare cases and represent clients during negotiations and in hearings, trials, and appeals.
- Work with various community groups and accept speaking engagements as assigned by supervisor and chief.
- Continue professional development and education through attendance at trainings and other programs sponsored by Maryland Legal Aid.
- Network with national Farmworker Organizations.
- Act as a liaison between clients and private attorney involvement (PAI) programs.
- Maintain case records for clients in the LegalServer case management system.
- Perform other duties as assigned within the scope of the essential functions of the position.
Admitted to practice in the State of Maryland, or admitted in another jurisdiction and eligible for admission in the State of Maryland. Must be willing to sit for the next Maryland Bar Exam and be admitted. Experienced in working with pro bono lawyers and volunteers. Demonstrated commitment to working in a public interest law firm assisting low-income persons. Ability to spend time traveling throughout Maryland and Delaware. Spanish speaking fluency is preferred, but not required.
$57,900 and up depending on experience.
How To Apply
Requisition ID: 1965
Apply for Staff Attorney using the link below:
**A RESUME AND COVER LETTER ARE REQUIRED TO APPLY FOR THIS POSITION**
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER