Staff Attorney, Employment and Healthcare Law
February 28, 2023
FreeState Justice seeks an analytical and thoughtful staff attorney to advocate for the individual and civil rights of vulnerable LGBTQIA+ Marylanders. The position is grant-funded through the Governor’s Office of Crime Control and Prevention and Maryland Legal Services Corporation. This is a full‐time staff attorney position, with approximately 90% of the attorney’s time dedicated to direct legal services and client support and the balance focused on policy advocacy and legal education.
Position Summary: The staff attorney will primarily maintain a diverse caseload, with a focus on employment and healthcare matters, as well as cases relating to civil matters arising out of one’s gender identity or sexual orientation. In addition, the attorney will advocate for legal and policy change to advance the rights of LGBTQIA+ Marylanders; engage with our community through establishing equitable relationships and community education; and work with the Legal Director and litigation team to continue building FreeState into a national model for state‐level LGBTQIA+ issue and LGBTQIA+‐ specific direct legal services and impact litigation.
Reports To: Legal Director
• Maintain a diverse caseload relating to civil matters arising out of one’s gender identity or sexual orientation, with a focus on employment and healthcare law.
• Review clients’ cases at intake, provide legal analysis of the merit of a case based on relevant laws, precedents, and facts and make recommendations for further action.
• Draft legal documents such as complaints, petitions, and motions for state court
• Zealous representation of clients in civil court as required based on case type and client representation agreements.
• Work with the litigation team in responding to requests for assistance, case development, case management, and identifying potential issues for impact litigation.
• Conduct legal research on topics related to the practice areas of the organization
• Help develop organizational subject matter expertise on issues relating to civil rights for LGBTQIA+ Marylanders.
• Assist with organizing and staffing FreeState Justice legal clinics and other community outreach events.
• Assist executive team with data and information needed to meet grant reporting requirements.
• Assist with FreeState’s policy advocacy as necessary through policy research, attending meetings and hearings, and working with coalition partners.
• Assist with FreeState’s public education as necessary through developing presentations, written resources, and other educational materials for community members on various LGBTQIA+ legal issues, including conducting seminars, presenting at meetings and webinars, and other community education.
Full posting: https://freestate-justice.org/who-we-are/careers/
An ideal candidate will possess the following qualities:
• Admitted to practice in the State of Maryland or admitted to another jurisdiction and eligible for admission in the State of Maryland.
• Juris Doctorate (J.D.) degree from an accredited law school.
• One to five years of experience. New attorneys are welcome to apply; professional development will be provided to all new hires.
• An ability to serve individuals across lines of difference and who may also be in crisis with empathy and kindness.
• Highly self‐motivated, keen attention to detail, and well‐organized, especially under tight deadlines.
• The ability to work skillfully, both independently and collaboratively with teams.
• Strong organizational and communication skills; and the ability to multi-task and prioritize assignments efficiently and effectively.
• A demonstrated commitment to racial, social, and economic justice.
• Ability to multi-task and prioritize assignments.
• Experience in direct legal services preferred, ideally with a background in family law or civil litigation.
FreeState Justice offers a competitive salary, commensurate with experience. The salary range for this position is $63,000 to $71,000 annually, depending on experience.