Staff Attorney, Elder Justice Initiative
Senior Legal Services
Baltimore City, MD
November 9, 2022
Senior Legal Services (SLS) seeks a full-time Elder Justice Initiative Attorney to serve seniors who are victims of abuse, neglect, and financial exploitation.
Senior Legal Services (“SLS”) is a joint program of The Bar Association of Baltimore City and the Baltimore Bar Foundation. SLS provides vital pro bono legal services to low-income seniors, aged 60 and over, in Baltimore City. We advise and represent clients on a broad range of civil legal matters, including estate planning, consumer and debt collection issues, landlord/tenant disputes, housing matters, foreclosure prevention, probate, and guardianship. The mission of SLS is to provide quality legal services to an underserved population at risk of losing resources to empower them to age in place and thrive in their community.
- Provide high quality legal services to older adults who have been victims of elder abuse, neglect, or financial exploitation.
- Present “know your rights” sessions at senior centers, assisted living communities, and other community-based settings.
- Maintain relationships with referral partner organizations and departments.
- Recruit and train pro bono attorneys, through new and existing programs affiliated with the host sites.
- Collect data and draft reports on the nature of the abuse and the services provided, including indicia of abuse, legal issue, and identity of alleged perpetrators of abuse.
- Support community elder abuse prevention coalitions comprised of multidisciplinary professionals.
Full description: https://www.indeed.com/viewjob?jk=653a7c7be6d8f430&tk=1gh26h37q2do2001
- Some experience with elder justice issues.
- Familiarity with legal basics in the following areas: Baltimore City landlord/tenant, estate planning, peace/protective orders, civil procedure especially as to the Baltimore City District Court.
- Excellent research and writing skills.
- Ability to effectively communicate complex legal issues to unsophisticated parties.
- Experience working with indigent populations.
- Demonstrated commitment to pro bono or public interest work.
- Ability to travel to various locations around Baltimore City.
- All candidates must be barred in Maryland.
- All candidates must have the requisite immigration status to be eligible for employment under 8 U.S.C. 1324a(a)(1).
The following benefits package is provided in addition to a $56,000/year salary: 12 paid holidays/year, plus general election day when that occurs, 1 week paid vacation to be taken between six month and one year anniversary dates; this increases to 2 weeks after the first year of employment, 7 paid personal days/year, life insurance, health insurance, dental insurance, long and short-term disability insurance, after one year of employment – participation in SIMPLE IRA plan with 3% employer match.
How To Apply
Submit a cover letter and resume to SLSinfo@baltimorebar.org. Applications will be reviewed as they are received, so candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.