Staff Attorney -CLI- Maryland Workforce Legal Services
Maryland Legal Aid
December 9, 2021
Maryland Legal Aid (MLA) announces the availability of a full-time Maryland Workforce Legal Services staff attorney position, as part of its Community Lawyering Initiative to provide legal services to participants of job training programs in Baltimore City. Successful candidates will demonstrate an ability to handle a broad range of duties in a timely manner. Please find below a summary of the job description.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Screen training program participants for eligibility and make referrals, as appropriate;
- Conduct preliminary and subsequent interviews with participants to comprehensively assess participants’ needs for civil legal services;
- Conduct factual investigations, analysis, and legal research;
- Advise clients of results of investigations and research and counsel clients about their options;
- Prepare legal documents, including, but not limited to, correspondence, pleadings, motions, discovery, memoranda of law, briefs, and other legal documents;
- Develop case theories and strategies for the representation of clients;
- Prepare cases and represent clients in negotiations, hearings, trials, and appeals;
- Work closely with non-profit organizations, representatives of local government, community groups and other legal providers to conduct trainings or participants, and community outreach and education and to support appropriate strategies that benefit the target population;
- Support Maryland Legal Aid’s Community Lawyering initiative by assisting with other clinics needs when feasible, including occasional evening and weekend work.
- Conduct “Know Your Rights” legal information sessions with job training programs attendees. Work with pro bono attorneys, students, and volunteers to collaborate on clinics and initiatives.
- Perform other duties as assigned within the scope of the essential functions of the position.
Admitted to practice in the State of Maryland required. Two years or more of civil litigation experience is preferred. Strong knowledge of Lexis/Nexis research. Familiarity with case management software and Office 365. Spanish language proficiency desirable.
$56,765 and up depending on experience.
How To Apply
Apply for Staff Attorney using the link below:
Requisition ID: 1957
**A RESUME AND COVER LETTER ARE REQUIRED TO APPLY FOR THIS POSITION**