Staff Attorney, Children in Need of Assistance
Maryland Legal Aid
Annapolis, MD (Hybrid)
March 31, 2023
Maryland Legal Aid (MLA) announces a full-time staff attorney position in the Anne Arundel/Howard County Office. This position has a focus on Child in Need of Assistance (CINA) child welfare cases, and the responsibilities include providing competent legal representation in child welfare proceedings before the juvenile and appellate courts, as well as all other ancillary proceedings such as FIMS, TPR mediations, IEP meetings. The responsibilities also include representing clients in general practice cases related to legal advocacy, ranging from intake to representation of clients before administrative tribunals, District, Circuit, appellate and federal courts, and all relevant agencies. Staff Attorney expected to participate in outreach activities and clinics as directed. Additionally, participation in Legal Aid Task forces and other internal/external committees is required.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Represent clients as assigned by the court and make referrals, as appropriate.
- Conduct preliminary and subsequent interviews with clients.
- Conduct factual investigation and analysis as well as legal research.
- Advise clients of results of investigation and research and counsel clients regarding their options.
- Draft pleadings to include complaints, answers, and counter-complaints, etc.
- Draft memoranda of law, briefs, etc.
- Develop case theory and strategy for the representation of clients.
- Prepare cases and represent clients during negotiations and in hearings, trials, and appeals.
- Work with various community groups and accept speaking engagements as assigned by supervisors and chiefs.
- Continue professional development and education through attendance at trainings and other programs sponsored by the Maryland Legal Aid Bureau.
- Maintain case records for clients in the LegalServer case management system.
- Perform other duties as assigned within the scope of the essential functions of the position.
- Admitted to practice in the State of Maryland or admitted in another jurisdiction and eligible for admission in the State of Maryland.
- Knowledge of principles of civil law, judicial procedures, and rules of evidence.
- Ability to use a computer, web-based applications, and computer programs such as Office 365 including Word, Outlook, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Excellent research, critical thinking, writing, and communication skills.
- Self-starter with ability to juggle multiple priorities and meet regular deadlines in a fast-paced environment while balancing a full workload.
- Ability to provide quality legal advocacy and representation for low-income, diverse client base.
- Ability to travel locally and regionally in Maryland as needed.
- Knowledge of Westlaw Edge or other legal research software is a plus.
- One (1) to three (3) years of post-bar admission legal experience is preferred but not required.
- Prior experience and/or interest in public-interest litigation or providing nonprofit legal services is a plus.
- Spanish language proficiency is desirable.
The salary range for this position is $66,585 – $106,585. In addition, MLA provides employees with a generous benefits package that includes health, dental, vision, life insurance, a 401(k)-retirement plan, 2 weeks paid time off, paid sick leave, 14 annual paid holidays, and more! Future flexibility regarding a hybrid work arrangement is a possibility after the onboarding period. Eligibility to apply for the Maryland Janet L. Hoffman Loan Assistance Repayment Program (LARP).