Staff Attorney – Children in Need of Assistance
Maryland Legal Aid
March 30, 2021
Maryland Legal Aid (MLA) provides life-changing civil legal assistance to eligible residents in every part of the State. Since 1911, MLA has provided high-quality legal services to low-income, and marginalized individuals and communities–helping them remedy their civil legal issues and become empowered to overcome challenges, achieve stability and independence, and an overall better life.
MLA is dedicated to preserving the basic human needs and basic human rights of clients, particularly as they navigate the justice system. MLA staff, pro bono attorneys, community partners, and general supporters all play important roles in ensuring that the legal playing field is leveled so that those most in need achieve equal access to justice. It is because of this diverse support that MLA is able to be a voice to tens of thousands of economically disadvantaged and vulnerable Marylanders every year.
This position handles all functions related to legal advocacy with a focus on Children in Need of Assistance (CINA) cases. Duties will also include providing legal assistance in other legal practices areas handled by the Baltimore County Office as needed. The staff attorney’s responsibilities range from handling intakes to the representation of clients before the District, Circuit, appellate and federal courts, and all relevant agencies. The staff attorney must attend required trainings for the CINA practice and participate in outreach activities and clinics. Participation in Baltimore County Bar Association activities, CINA Workgroup Court Meetings, Legal Aid Task Forces, and other internal Maryland Legal Aid committees is required. Tasks assigned to staff attorneys may include any or all of but are not necessarily limited to the following:
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Screen clients for eligibility and make referrals, as appropriate.
- Conduct preliminary and subsequent interviews with clients.
- Conduct factual investigation and analysis as well as legal research.
- Advise clients of results of investigation and research and counsel clients regarding their options.
- Draft pleadings to include complaints, answers, and counter-complaints, etc.
- Draft memoranda of law, briefs, etc.
- Develop case theory and strategy for the representation of clients.
- Prepare cases and represent clients during negotiations and in hearings, trials, and appeals.
- Work with various community groups and accept speaking engagements as assigned by supervisors and chiefs.
- Continue professional development and education through attendance at trainings and other programs sponsored by the Maryland Legal Aid Bureau.
- Act as a liaison between clients and private attorney involvement (PAI) programs.
- Maintain case records for clients in the LegalServer case management system.
- Perform other duties as assigned within the scope of the essential functions of the position.
- Admitted to practice in the State of Maryland, or admitted in another jurisdiction.
- Graduate of an ABA-approved law school and eligible for admission in the State of Maryland. Strong knowledge of Lexis/Nexis research.
- Familiarity with case management software and Office 365.
- Spanish language proficiency desirable.
$56,765 and up depending on experience
How To Apply
Apply for Staff Attorney – Children in Need of Assistance using the link below:
A RESUME AND COVER LETTER ARE REQUIRED TO APPLY FOR THIS POSITION
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER