Staff Attorney – Children in Need of Assistance (CINA)
Maryland Legal Aid
September 24, 2021
Job Summary: This position handles all functions related to legal advocacy with a focus on Children in Need of Assistance (CINA) cases. The staff attorney’s responsibilities range from handling case in the juvenile court, appeals and other related forums. The staff attorney must attend required trainings for the CINA practice and participate in outreach activities and clinics. Participation in local bar association activities, CINA Workgroup Court Meetings, Legal Aid Task Forces, and other internal Maryland Legal Aid committees is required. Tasks assigned to staff attorneys may include any or all of, but are not necessarily limited to the following: Duties and Responsibilities:
- Represent clients as assigned by the court and make referrals, as appropriate.
- Conduct preliminary and subsequent interviews with clients.
- Conduct factual investigation and analysis as well as legal research.
- Advise clients of results of investigation and research and counsel clients regarding their options.
- Draft pleadings to include complaints, answers, and counter-complaints, etc.
- Draft memoranda of law, briefs, etc.
- Develop case theory and strategy for the representation of clients.
- Prepare cases and represent clients during negotiations and in hearings, trials, and appeals.
- Work with various community groups and accept speaking engagements as assigned by supervisors and chiefs.
- Continue professional development and education through attendance at trainings and other programs sponsored by the Maryland Legal Aid Bureau.
- Maintain case records for clients in the LegalServer case management system.
- Perform other duties as assigned within the scope of the essential functions of the position.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Admitted to practice in the State of Maryland, or admitted in another jurisdiction. Strong knowledge of WestLaw Edge research.
$56,765 and up depending on experience.
How To Apply
Apply for Staff Attorney using the link below: https://workforcenow.adp.com/mascsr/default/mdf/recruitment/recruitment.html?cid=9156664a-1a51-4897-90b5-51213a0ce138&ccId=19000101_000001&jobId=415016&lang=en_US&source=CC4