Staff Attorney, Child in Need of Assistance
Maryland Legal Aid
Bel Air, MD
July 28, 2022
Maryland Legal Aid (MLA) announces a full-time staff attorney position in the Cecil/Harford County Office. This position has a focus on CINA child welfare cases, and, the responsibilities include providing competent legal representation in child welfare proceedings before the juvenile and appellate courts, as well as all other anciliary proceedings such as FIMS, TPR mediations, IEP meetings. The responsibilities also include representing clients in general practice cases related to legal advocacy, ranging from intake to representation of clients before administrative tribunals, District, Circuit, appellate and federal courts, and all relevant agencies. Staff Attorney expected to participate in outreach activities and clinics as directed. Additionally, participation in Legal Aid Task forces and other internal/external committees is required.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Represent clients as assigned by the court and make referrals, as appropriate.
- Conduct preliminary and subsequent interviews with clients.
- Conduct factual investigation and analysis as well as legal research.
- Advise clients of results of investigation and research and counsel clients regarding their options.
- Draft pleadings to include complaints, answers, and counter-complaints, etc.
- Draft memoranda of law, briefs, etc.
- Develop case theory and strategy for the representation of clients.
- Prepare cases and represent clients during negotiations and in hearings, trials, and appeals.
- Work with various community groups and accept speaking engagements as assigned by supervisors and chiefs.
- Continue professional development and education through attendance at trainings and other programs sponsored by the Maryland Legal Aid Bureau.
- Maintain case records for clients in the LegalServer case management system.
- Perform other duties as assigned within the scope of the essential functions of the position.
Admission to Maryland Bar and 3 years of relevant child welfare experience required.
$57,900 and up depending on experience.
How To Apply
Maryland Legal Aid is committed to equity, justice and inclusion. As an equal opportunity employer, MLA seeks to hire employees from diverse backgrounds and perspectives that are reflective of the communities we serve, including people with disabilities, people of color, women and members of traditionally underrepresented groups.
Apply for Staff Attorney – Child in Need of Assistance (CINA) using the link below:
**A RESUME AND COVER LETTER ARE REQUIRED TO APPLY FOR THIS POSITION**