Staff Attorney, Centralized Intake Unit
Maryland Legal Aid
May 17, 2022
Maryland Legal Aid (MLA) announces a position of Staff Attorney in the Centralized Intake Services Unit, located in Baltimore City. The intake staff attorney serves an essential function in MLA’s delivery of high-quality services and is usually the first point of attorney contact for clients. The attorney will be part of a team who interview applicants, answer questions, and provide legal assistance primarily by telephone. Legal assistance will include advice, referrals, follow-up brief service such as reviewing legal papers, helping clients fill out forms, writing letters, preparing for court, or strategizing on the next steps. When appropriate, the intake staff attorney will prepare the case for referral to the appropriate MLA office for further representation. Staff attorneys are expected to work with other attorneys, law graduates, legal assistants/paralegals, social workers, and students.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Conduct preliminary and subsequent interviews with clients, primarily a telephone advice/intake position, answering calls in various practice areas.
- Conduct factual investigation and legal research and advise clients of the results.
- As assigned, assist clients with pleading forms, including but not limited to complaints, motions, and answers.
- As assigned, develop case theory and strategy to assist pro se clients.
- Work with various community groups and accept speaking engagements as assigned by supervisor.
- Continue professional development and education through attendance at MLA-sponsored training and other programs.
- Perform other duties as assigned within the scope of the essential functions of the position.
Highly motivated and willing to work within a team. Strong customer service skills, including the ability to empathize and assist distressed people. Ability to communicate complex legal concepts in simple terms. Ability to conduct rapid legal research. Excellent oral and written communication skills. Ability to work in a fast-paced environment. Commitment to the mission of Maryland Legal Aid. One year or more civil legal experience, clinical or clerkship experience will be considered. Admitted to practice law in the State of Maryland or any other state. Spanish language proficiency desirable.
$57,900.00 and up depending on experience.
How To Apply
Apply for Staff Attorney using the link below:
**A RESUME AND COVER LETTER ARE REQUIRED TO APPLY FOR THIS POSITION**