Staff Attorney – Baltimore County – (2020)
Maryland Legal Aid
May 20, 2022
Maryland Legal Aid (MLA) announces a full-time general practice staff attorney position in the Baltimore County Office located in Towson, Maryland. This position handles a wide array of legal advocacy to low income individuals with an emphasis on the issues impacting older adults. Responsibilities range from handling intakes to the representation of clients before the District, Circuit, appellate and federal courts, and all relevant agencies. The attorney will also provide outreach and education to key stakeholders and Maryland Legal Aid's client population, including, but not limited to the Department of Aging, Senior Centers, and Nursing Home residents. Additionally, the staff attorney will assist, as needed, in clinics (i.e. Lawyer in the Library, Expungement Clinics, etc.). The staff attorney will collaborate with community organizations and groups to meet the needs of clients. The staff attorney is expected to attend trainings as necessary to perform job duties. Participation in Legal Aid Task Forces and other internal and external committees is expected. The staff attorney will be expected to perform any and all other duties that is needed from time to time.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Screen clients for eligibility and make referrals, as appropriate.
- Conduct preliminary and subsequent interviews with clients.
- Conduct factual investigation and analysis as well as legal research.
- Advise clients of results of investigation and research and counsel clients regarding their options.
- Draft pleadings to include complaints, answers, and counter-complaints, etc.
- Draft memoranda of law, briefs, etc.
- Develop case theory and strategy for the representation of clients.
- Prepare cases and represent clients during negotiations and in hearings, trials, and appeals.
- Work with various community groups and accept speaking engagements as assigned by the supervisor.
- Continue professional development and education through attendance at Legal Aid sponsored training and other programs.
- Maintain case records for clients in the LegalServer case management system.
- Perform other duties as assigned within the scope of the essential functions of the position.
Admitted to practice in the State of Maryland or admitted in another jurisdiction and immediately eligible for admission in the State of Maryland. Strong knowledge of Westlaw research. Excellent writing skills.
$57,900.00 and up depending experience.
How To Apply
Apply for Staff Attorney using the link below:
**A RESUME AND COVER LETTER ARE REQUIRED TO APPLY FOR THIS POSITION**