Staff Attorney (2019)
Maryland Center for Legal Assistance
May 20, 2022
The Maryland Center for Legal Assistance (MCLA) announces an immediate opening for a full-time Staff Attorney position in the Annapolis Office. Successful candidates will demonstrate an ability to handle a broad range of duties in a timely manner. Please find below a summary of the job description.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide brief legal advice and information to self-represented litigants in connection with civil legal issues including Landlord and Tenant Matters, Civil Claims, Expungement and Shielding of Records, Consumer Matters, Return of Property, Domestic Violence/Peace Orders, Family Law, and Foreclosure.
- Assist self-represented litigants in drafting their pleadings and motions, preparing for trial, completing court forms, and understanding court documents and the law.
- Provide referrals to appropriate legal service organizations, agencies, and lawyer referral services wherever appropriate.
- Work hours vary between the hours of 8:30 am – 8:00 pm.
- Be available to provide support to MCLA’s other offices as needed.
- Perform other duties as assigned within the scope of the essential functions of the position.
- Admitted to practice in the State of Maryland.
- One-year or more civil litigation experience, clinical or clerkship experience will be considered.
- Strong customer service skills including ability to empathize and assist people who are distressed.
- Ability to communicate complex legal concepts in simple terms.
- Ability to conduct rapid legal research.
- Fluency in Spanish and American Sign Language strongly preferred.
$57,900.00 and up depending on experience.
How To Apply
Apply for Staff Attorney using the link below:
**A RESUME AND COVER LETTER ARE REQUIRED TO APPLY FOR THIS POSITION**