Maryland Center for Legal Assistance
Upper Marlboro, MD
June 11, 2021
The Maryland Center for Legal Assistance (MCLA) through a contract with the Administrative Office of the Courts operates the District Court Help Centers in Baltimore City, Glen Burnie, Upper Marlboro, and Salisbury and the Maryland Courts Help Centers in Annapolis and Frederick.
The Help Centers deal with a wide range of civil legal matters, including landlord-tenant, consumer matters such as debt collection and credit card cases, child support, and criminal record expungements to remove barriers to obtaining housing, employment, and child custody.
The attorney will primarily provide legal assistance to self-represented litigants in connection with civil cases before the Circuit and District Courts of Maryland, including Landlord and Tenant Matters, Family Law Matters (divorce, custody, child support, and guardianship), Civil Claims, Expungement and Shielding of Records, Consumer Matters, Return of Property, Domestic Violence/Peace Orders and Foreclosure. Legal services to self-represented litigants will primarily occur via phone, live chat, video conference assistance, or as requested by the Court.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide brief legal advice and information to self-represented litigants in connection with civil legal issues including Landlord and Tenant Matters, Civil Claims, Expungement and Shielding of Records, Consumer Matters, Return of Property, and Domestic Violence/Peace Orders, Family Law, and Foreclosure.
- Assist self-represented litigants in drafting their pleadings and motions, preparing for trial, completing court forms, and understanding court documents and the law.
- Provide referrals to appropriate legal service organizations, agencies, and lawyer referral services wherever appropriate.
- Develop internal resources, training for staff and the public.
- Be available to provide support to MCLA’s other offices as needed.
- Perform other duties as assigned within the scope of the essential functions of the position.
- Admitted to practice in the State of Maryland.
- One-year or more civil litigation experience, clinical or clerkship experience will be considered.
- Strong customer service skills including ability to empathize and assist people who are distressed.
- Ability to communicate complex legal concepts in simple terms.
- Ability to conduct rapid legal research.
- Fluency in Spanish strongly preferred.
- $56,765 and up depending on experience. Compensation pursuant to a salary scale based on experience.
- Paid time off; retirement plan contribution; health, dental, prescription drug, Flexible Spending, and life insurance coverage; and opportunities for paid professional development.
- Employees of MCLA are eligible to apply for the Maryland Janet L. Hoffman Loan Assistance Repayment Program (LARP).
How To Apply
Apply for Staff Attorney – Maryland Center for Legal Assistance using the link below:
A RESUME AND COVER LETTER ARE REQUIRED TO APPLY FOR THIS POSITION
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER