Senior Legal Advocate
Sexual Assault Legal Institute (SALI)
Silver Spring, Maryland + Temporarily remote
November 22, 2022
The Maryland Coalition Against Sexual Assault (MCASA) is Maryland’s sexual assault coalition and includes the State’s rape crisis centers and others concerned with ending sexual violence. Our mission is to help prevent sexual assault, advocate for accessible, compassionate care for survivors of sexual violence, and work to hold offenders accountable.
We believe we cannot successfully serve others if we do not take care of ourselves. MCASA staff are encouraged to practice self-care and are supported in finding a positive work-life balance. This position, along with the rest of the agency, will entail significant virtual work and allows for flexible scheduling.
Employees are expected to be available to travel to the MCASA office in Silver Spring within 90 minutes or live within the State of Maryland. While many job duties may be performed virtually, some are in person. This may include on-site meetings, meetings with stakeholders or community members, court proceedings, or other in-person events. Employees may choose to work in the MCASA offices subject to COVID risk reduction protocols.
The Sexual Assault Legal Institute (SALI), a program within the Maryland Coalition Against Sexual Assault (MCASA), is seeking a full-time senior legal advocate (English/Spanish strongly preferred) to to help survivors of sexual assault and provide supervision to other advocates. The Senior Legal Advocate reports to the SALI Managing Attorney.
- Supervise SALI’s Legal Advocates, including by providing input to hiring, evaluation, and discipline.
- Develop and implement plan for outreach, education, and continuing communication with community‐based organizations, law enforcement, and services providers regarding the legal needs of survivors of sexual assault.
- Coordinate and develop culturally competent outreach materials and arrange for appropriate translation of current SALI literature.
- Collaborate with the Grants and Data Specialist to generate reports with LegalServer and assist with data collection for grant reports or other reasons. Ensure data collection is accurate and that internal procedures are efficient and avoid bureaucracy as much as possible.
All SALI advocates, including the Senior Legal Advocate, have the following duties:
- Provide high quality, culturally competent legal advocacy for survivors of sexual assault.
- Assist attorneys in representation of sexual assault survivors in a range of cases; these may include protective and peace orders, U‐visa, family law, crime victim rights, education, employment and other cases.
- Participate in forums and meetings relating to SALI activities.
- Conduct initial interviews (intakes) with survivors of sexual assault.
- Provide safety planning for survivors.
- Assist in production of training and technical assistance materials.
- Assist in grant report preparation.
- Assist in recruiting and work with legal interns.
- Prioritize and fulfill responsibilities in accordance with available funding and grant
- Comply with or assist others in compliance with the Rules of Professional Conduct (legal ethics).
- Such other duties as assigned by the SALI Managing Attorney and Executive Director.
Full description: https://mcasa.org/who-we-are/jobs-internships
- Bachelor’s degree required. Recent JDs considered only if committed to outreach and other responsibilities that may not fall under an attorney’s usual duties AND committed to non‐attorney position for a significant period of time. Other responsibilities will include administrative tasks related to office management.
- Fluent in English; fluent in Spanish strongly preferred (compensation increases if fluent in Spanish).
- Access to a car and valid driver’s license; this position requires travel within the State of Maryland. Out of state travel required 1‐3 times annually.
- Supervisory experience helpful.
- Knowledge or previous work experience with sexual assault related issues preferred.
Note: candidates are encouraged to apply if they believe they can do this job even if they do not have every qualification. Please address this issue in your cover letter.
Low $50s, depending on experience and language skills