Pro Bono Program Manager
Maryland Volunteer Lawyers Service
October 7, 2021
Maryland Volunteer Lawyers Service (MVLS), founded in 1981, is the oldest and largest volunteer legal services organization in Maryland. Maryland Volunteer Lawyers Service (MVLS) removes barriers to justice through free civil legal help, community engagement, and advocacy for equitable laws. Our vision is for a fair legal system that is free of injustice and equitably serves underrepresented Marylanders. We achieve this goal primarily through our core pro bono program and more targeted programs that serve specialized legal needs. For more program information, visit our website: www.mvlslaw.org.
MVLS’s core values are teamwork, passion for MVLS’s mission, commitment to clients, volunteers, and community partners, initiative and commitment to eliminate systemic barriers to justice based on race and economic disparities. MVLS is committed to fostering an inclusive culture in the workplace. Our work to end barriers to justice starts with increasing the racial diversity of our staff to better reflect the communities we serve.
This management position is responsible for the successful operations of our Pro Bono Program which involves oversight of client intake, application review, case placement with volunteers, volunteer support, as well as management of and support to 4-5 intake paralegals. In addition, the Pro Bono Program Manager is responsible for ensuring all client case data, volunteer information, clinic data, and case update information is properly entered into LegalServer, our case management database, and maintaining accurate data to generate reports to funders.
Client Intake & Placement
- Ensure adherence to funders’ and internal client intake policies, income and case acceptance guidelines and respond to paralegal or staff questions regarding these requirements
- Supervise day-to-day client intake process
- Regularly review intake and placement policies and procedures for accuracy
- Monitor client intake numbers and case placements
- Ensure timely data completion for client applications, clinic data and case update forms
- Approve and make necessary revisions to case postings for the MVLS website’s Pro Bono Portal
- Assist paralegals with intake and case placement when necessary
Case Management System
- Oversee operation of MVLS’ case management system, LegalServer, including data entry, building reports, running reports, making edits to both the case management system and online intake component
- Assist with reporting for all grants and annual report on monthly, quarterly, and yearly schedules
- Supervise day-to-day work of four to five intake paralegals.
- Assist with training new MVLS staff and interns on Legal Server, intake and case placement policies and procedures
- Supervise interns within Pro Bono Program
Client & Volunteer Support
- Help to resolve client and volunteer complaints
- Act as point of contact to welcome and engage new volunteers
- Assist volunteers when they need support
- Assist with developing and implementing volunteer trainings
- Participate in identifying and drafting award nominations for volunteers
- Strong time management and organizational skills
- Ability to identify and resolve problems quickly
- Ability to work independently and with a team
- Ability to organize and complete multiple tasks simultaneously with close attention to detail and prioritization to meet deadlines
- Leadership and management skills including problem solving, planning, strategy, relationship building, and collaboration
Professional Experience and Education:
- 5-7 years of related experience, preferred in legal setting
- Strong computer skills, including Microsoft Office Suite
- Familiarity with case management software
- Demonstrated commitment through work experience, lived experience or volunteer experience to communities, such as: Children, Domestic workers, Economically disadvantaged people, Immigrants and refugees, Incarcerated and formerly incarcerated people, LGBTQ people, People of color, People with disabilities, People with HIV/AIDS, Sex workers, Victims of crime and abuse, and Women and girls
Salary range is $55,000 to $65,000 with excellent benefits, including health insurance (with dental and vision benefits), sick leave and vacation.
How To Apply
Submit a cover letter, resume and three professional references from employers or school via email with “Position Title” in the subject line to firstname.lastname@example.org by 4 weeks from when position is posted. Applicants are encouraged to address the core values stated at the top of this job posting in their cover letters.
Please, no telephone calls.
MVLS is an equal opportunity employer. MVLS does not discriminate against any applicant for employment or any employee on the basis of race, nationality, ethnicity, age, religion, disability status, sex assigned at birth, gender identity, gender presentation, sexual orientation, or immigration status.