Pro Bono Coordinator (Attorney)
Maryland Legal Aid
August 16, 2021
Maryland Legal Aid (MLA) provides life-changing civil legal assistance to eligible residents in every part of the State. Since 1911, MLA has provided high-quality legal services to low-income, and marginalized individuals and communities–helping them remedy their civil legal issues and become empowered to overcome challenges, achieve stability and independence, and an overall better life.
MLA is dedicated to preserving the basic human needs and basic human rights of clients, particularly as they navigate the justice system. MLA staff, pro bono attorneys, community partners, and general supporters all play important roles in ensuring that the legal playing field is leveled so that those most in need achieve equal access to justice. It is because of this diverse support that MLA is able to be a voice to tens of thousands of economically disadvantaged and vulnerable Marylanders every year.
Maryland Legal Aid (MLA) maintains a Pro Bono Program within its Training & Pro Bono Unit, based in MLA’s Baltimore City office. The overall purpose of this Program is to recruit, train, coordinate, and facilitate the work of pro bono attorneys who serve eligible MLA clients. The Pro Bono Program develops statewide standards for pro bono practice within MLA’s case priorities, and creates innovative approaches to address the justice gap with the use of pro bono attorneys and other volunteers.
This position reports to the Assistant Director for Pro Bono, and assists with the recruitment and training of pro bono attorneys, paralegals, law students, and other volunteers, including those in allied professions.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist with the development and implementation of statewide trainings in substantive areas of law for pro bono volunteers.
- Work closely with law firms, solo practitioners, law schools, bar associations, and affiliate pro bono groups across Maryland to recruit and train pro bono professionals and other volunteers.
- Communicate regularly with MLA’s offices to identify areas of law and cases that would be appropriate for pro bono participation.
- Provide mentorship and case support to pro bono attorneys handling MLA cases.
- Assist with the placement of pro bono cases in areas of law consistent with MLA’s priorities, i.e. housing, consumer, public benefits, and family law.
- Manage clients seeking placement with pro bono volunteers, including providing brief advice or limited services in a range of substantive legal practice areas prior to placement of cases with pro bono volunteers.
- Coordinate with pro bono volunteers to determine case outcomes and proper tracking of the work that pro bono volunteers are completing for MLA clients.
- Work closely with the Assistant Director for Pro Bono to assist with and manage the scheduling of clinics, community events and community outreach, and coordinate pro bono participation in existing community outreach on a statewide basis.
- Assist with the coordination of recognition events for pro bono volunteers.
- Help to ensure that MLA’s pro bono work is accomplished in accordance with funder requirements, including regulations of the Legal Services Corporation.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Admission to Maryland Bar or another state bar and eligibility and willingness to take the first available Maryland Bar examination. One to three years of legal experience, preferably in the delivery of civil legal services, or the delivery of pro bono services to low-income clients. Able to travel statewide in Maryland. Spanish language proficiency is desirable.
$65,000 – $ 67,626
How To Apply
Apply for Pro Bono Coordinator (Attorney) using the link below:
A RESUME AND COVER LETTER ARE REQUIRED TO APPLY FOR THIS POSITION
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER