Pro Bono Coordinating Attorney
Catholic Charities of Baltimore - Esperanza Center
430 S Broadway, Baltimore, MD 21231
June 13, 2022
Catholic Charities of Baltimore is currently seeking a Pro Bono Coordinating Attorney for the Esperanza Center's Immigration Legal Services program.
The work schedule is Monday – Friday, 8:30am-4:30pm.
The Esperanza Center is a comprehensive resource center whose mission is to welcome immigrants by offering hope, compassionate services, and the power to improve their lives. Since 1963, immigrants from all over the world have trusted the Esperanza Center to help them navigate life in a new country. Our dedicated staff and volunteers provide services related to education, healthcare, immigration legal matters, family reunification, and general community support to thousands of immigrants each year.
Immigration Legal Services was founded in 1994 to provide low-cost legal counseling and representation in humanitarian and family-based immigration matters. As one of the largest non-profit immigration legal services providers in the state, we serve individuals from over 150 different countries who reside in Maryland or have immigration cases in Maryland. We assist clients and their family members seeking to obtain, extend, or retain lawful immigration status or citizenship in the United States.
We provide affordable and pro bono legal counseling and representation in a wide-range of immigration matters including:
- Immigration consultations
- Family-based petitions
- Adjustment of status
- Trafficking, crime victim, and domestic violence-based immigration applications
- Deferred Action for Childhood Arrival (DACA) applications and renewals
- Immigrant visa processing
- Applications for Citizenship
- Inadmissibility waiver applications
- Temporary Protected Status (TPS)
- NACARA (Nicaraguan and Central American Relief Act)
- Removal defense (Defense against deportation)
- Asylum, withholding of removal and relief under the Convention Against Torture
JOB DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provides pro bono mentorship and co-counsel on high-volume case load concerning wide range of family based and humanitarian immigration matters including but not limited to applications for relief, removal defense, and other motions and legal memoranda, as needed;
- Provides direct representation on a smaller case load of in-house cases, including cases in removal proceedings. May provide representation in custody and guardianship proceedings in Maryland Circuit Court, through a Maryland license (required within 2 years of employment);
- Leads community outreach and education efforts, group presentations and workshops and represents the agency to a variety of organizations and at community and professional functions and meetings;
- Assists with the intake process and provides telephonic and in-person interviews and consultations to prospective clients;
- Expands and maintains a panel of volunteer attorneys; assists with intern mentoring;
- Perform other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
- Law degree from an accredited law school.
- Licensed to practice law in at least one State or a Federal District Court. Relevant experience in and knowledge of immigration law. Ability to be licensed in the State of Maryland within 2 years.
- Ability to work with clients from diverse cultures.
REQUIREMENTS & ABILITIES:
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Fluency in Spanish preferred.
- Driving (Agency and/or personal vehicle) is required for this position. Driver must be at least 21 years of age, with a minimum of 2 years of driving experience, and a valid driver’s license issued by the state of residence. There can be no state issued restrictions on the licenses that would impede driver’s ability to operate the vehicle as required by the Agency, and there must not be more than three (3) points on their driving record..
- Requires the ability to utilize computer systems and software necessary to perform position functions. Basic Windows PC, web browsing (i.e., Chrome, Internet Explorer, etc.), and Microsoft Outlook skills required. Other Microsoft Office application knowledge, such as Word, Excel PowerPoint, Skype, and OneDrive desired.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS & WORK ENVIRONMENT:
- Sedentary work that primarily involves sitting/standing.
- Remaining in a stationary position, often standing, or sitting for prolonged periods.
- Communicating with others to exchange information.
Compensation begins at $64,000 and is commensurate with experience.
How To Apply
Please apply online at Catholic Charities of Baltimore's careers page. The specific job application link is here: https://recruiting.ultipro.com/CAT1002CC/JobBoard/c709ab38-ff71-4cc1-9c24-5a3e75528c74/OpportunityDetail?opportunityId=9041354c-f100-4972-956a-c0afe50dc8ae