Paralegal – Southern Maryland Office (2086)
Maryland Legal Aid
September 21, 2022
Maryland Legal Aid (MLA) provides life-changing civil legal assistance to eligible residents in every part of the State. Since 1911, MLA has provided high-quality legal services to low-income, and marginalized individuals and communities–helping them remedy their civil legal issues and become empowered to overcome challenges, achieve stability and independence, and an overall better life.
MLA is dedicated to preserving the basic human needs and basic human rights of clients, particularly as they navigate the justice system. MLA staff, pro bono attorneys, community partners, and general supporters all play important roles in ensuring that the legal playing field is leveled so that those most in need achieve equal access to justice. It is because of this diverse support that MLA is able to be a voice to tens of thousands of economically disadvantaged and vulnerable Marylanders every year.
Maryland Legal Aid announces an immediate opening for a full-time paralegal in the Southern Maryland Office located in Hughesville, MD. Under the supervision of an attorney, paralegals are generally expected to handle all functions related to casework from initial intake through representation of clients at administrative and other hearings permitted by law. Paralegals may be expected to work together with attorneys on cases or projects including work on the paralegal’s cases as well as the attorneys’ cases. Some paralegals may perform exclusively or primarily non-casework functions.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Screen clients for eligibility and make referrals.
- Perform clients for eligibility and make referrals.
- Perform intakes and, when necessary and appropriate, make referrals to other legal or non-legal resources.
- Schedule appointments, hearings, etc.
- Conduct preliminary and follow-up interviews with clients and witnesses.
- Conduct factual investigations and legal research.
- Perform litigation support, such as preparing discovery, drafting pleadings, correspondences, and other documents, and supporting attorneys at trail.
- Assist in the development of case theory and strategy for the representation of clients.
- Perform other duties, as assigned; within the scope of the essential functions of the position.
- All of the above duties and responsibilities are essential job functions subject to reasonable accommodation.
- Paralegal certification or 4-year degree and prior paralegal experience preferred.
- Proficient written and oral communication skills sufficient to perform the duties of the position.
- Computer skills and experience with Microsoft Office Suite (e.g., Word, Excel, Outlook, Teams, SharePoint).
- Proven ability to draft correspondence, good attention to detail, and a willingness to work in all substantive legal areas.
- Strong customer service skills including the ability to empathize and assist people who are distressed.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Commitment to the mission of Maryland Legal Aid.
- Paralegal certification or equivalent experience preferred.
The salary range for this position is $37, 142.00 – $66,737.00. In addition, MLA provides employees with a generous benefits package that includes health, dental, vision, life insurance, a 401(k) retirement plan, 2 weeks paid time off, paid sick leave, 14 annual paid holidays, and more! Future flexibility regarding a hybrid work arrangement is a possibility after the onboarding period.