Paralegal – SAS/Foreclosure Legal Assistance Project (Temporary)
Maryland Legal Aid
December 20, 2021
Maryland Legal Aid (MLA) Statewide Advocacy Support Unit announces an immediate opening for a full-time, temporary paralegal within the Foreclosure Legal Assistance Project. This position will provide assistance to attorneys working to prevent foreclosure and creditor abuses. Under the supervision of an attorney, paralegals are generally expected to handle all functions related to casework from initial intake through representation of clients at administrative and other hearings permitted by law. Paralegals may be expected to work together with attorneys on cases or projects including work on the paralegal’s cases as well as the attorneys’ cases. Some paralegals may perform exclusively or primarily non-casework functions.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Screen clients for eligibility and make referrals.
- Perform intakes and, when necessary and appropriate, make referrals to other legal and non-legal resources.
- Conduct preliminary and follow-up interviews with clients and witnesses.
- Conduct factual investigations and analysis and legal research.
- Perform litigation support, such as preparing discovery, drafting pleadings, correspondences, and other documents, and supporting attorneys at trail.
- Assist in the development of case theory and strategy for the representation of clients.
- Provide administrative support, including scheduling appointments, hearings etc.
- Participate in community and institutional outreach and education.
- Perform other duties, as assigned; within the scope of the essential functions of the position.
- Education: Associates, Bachelor’s, or Master’s of Laws Degree in Law or Paralegal Studies.
- Computer proficiency in Microsoft Office.
- Ability to learn how to use case management software, timekeeping, and Office 365 is required.
- Individual must possess basic written and oral communication skills.
- Proficient written and oral communication skills.
$37,142 and up depending on experience.
How To Apply
Requisition ID: 1962
Apply for Paralegal using the link below:
**A RESUME AND COVER LETTER ARE REQUIRED TO APPLY FOR THIS POSITION**