Paralegal, Pro Bono Services
Maryland Legal Aid
July 28, 2022
Maryland Legal Aid’s (MLA) Training & Pro Bono Unit announces an immediate opening for a full-time paralegal in the Baltimore City Office. This position provides support for the Pro Bono Program and assists the Director of Training & Pro Bono and Assistant Director for Pro Bono in responding to client inquiries, making referrals to Pro Bono attorneys, addressing concerns of Pro Bono attorneys, conducting conflict checks, and maintaining pro bono files. The paralegal reports directly to the Assistant Director for Pro Bono. Successful candidates will demonstrate an ability to handle a broad range of duties in a timely manner.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Screen clients for eligibility and make referrals.
- Perform intakes and, when necessary and appropriate, make referrals to other legal and nonlegal resources.
- Assist in data collection and develop programmatic materials for use in the Pro Bono Program.
- Assist with the coordination of recognition events for pro bono attorneys and other volunteers.
- Conduct preliminary and follow-up interviews with clients and witnesses.
- Conduct factual investigations and analysis and legal research.
- Perform litigation support, such as preparing discovery; drafting pleadings, correspondence, and other documents; and supporting attorneys at trial.
- Assist in the development of case theory and strategy for the representation of clients.
- Provide administrative support, including scheduling appointments, hearings etc.
- Conduct community and organizational outreach and education.
- Perform other duties, as assigned; within the scope of the essential functions of the position.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and demonstrated potential to perform the duties of a paralegal.
- An understanding of client confidentiality.
- Knowledge of office procedures and office technology including Microsoft Office.
- Willingness and ability to learn new software.
- Previous work with volunteer attorneys is desired.
- Ability to travel statewide to other MLA offices and jurisdictions within Maryland, and availability to work some evening and weekend clinics.
$37,142 and up depending on experience.
How To Apply
Maryland Legal Aid is committed to equity, justice and inclusion. As an equal opportunity employer, Maryland Legal Aid seeks to hire employees from diverse backgrounds and perspectives that are reflective of the communities we serve, including people with disabilities, people of color, women, and members of traditionally underrepresented groups.
Apply for Paralegal using the link below:
**A RESUME AND COVER LETTER ARE REQUIRED TO APPLY FOR THIS POSITION**