Paralegal, Legal Orientation Program for Custodians of Unaccompanied Minors
Catholic Charities of the Archdiocese of Washington
Silver Spring, MD 20902, USA
November 9, 2022
At Catholic Charities of the Archdiocese of Washington, your knowledge and service in areas such as immigrants and refugees, mental health, social work, employment and adult education, legal and financial services, health care, food assistance, shelter and housing, developmental disabilities and prison outreach can make a profound difference in the lives of many. Through more than 50 programs across the district and five surrounding counties, Catholic Charities is opening doors to help and hope. At CCADW, we continue to build an inclusive culture that celebrates a diverse workforce. We offer so much more than just a job. We offer careers. We take pride in our “promote from within” culture. We offer professional development, a comprehensive benefits package, a hybrid work model with both remote and in-office work, and a passion for building and motivating world class, high performing teams. Explore your career opportunity with Catholic Charities. Join us in Inspiring Hope and Building Futures.
Catholic Charities of the Archdiocese of Washington values the safety of our employees, our clients, and our visitors. In support of these values, if you are selected for this job, you must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, except when vaccination is not medically advised or violates your sincerely held religious beliefs. If you are invited to join our team, you must submit proof that you are up to date with your COVID vaccinations, including the booster dose or you must request an exemption from your representative. New employees must either provide proof of vaccination or be granted a medical or religious exemption before working with Catholic Charities of the Archdiocese of Washington.
The Paralegal under the Legal Orientation Program for Custodians (LOPC) of Unaccompanied Minors provides group orientations, manages incoming referrals, and schedules custodians and minors for LOPCs. The position provides legal services for clients under the supervision of an attorney and provides other paralegal/administrative support as needed.
- Conduct Legal Orientation Program for Custodians of Unaccompanied Minors.
- Contact custodians to arrange attendance at presentations, following up as needed.
- Manage all incoming custodian referrals from various sources, such as fingerprinting sites, border legal service providers, and other organizations/agencies.
- Enter custodian data and presentation attendee data into the appropriate system/database.
- Schedule office space and prepare materials for presentations.
- Provide group orientations and individualized information to custodians at designated sites throughout the community.
- Provide “self-help” workshops as needed for custodians.
- Keep track of data on LOPCs and custodians and respond to requests for information from the LOPC funding source.
- Perform paralegal duties.
- Assist with the client intake process and general case management.
- Provide direct legal services to clients under the supervision of an attorney before U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), asylum office, and Department of State.
- Interview individuals seeking assistance with legal matters. When appropriate, draft and prepare legal documents, correspondence and client applications.
- Conduct legal research on various issues of law.
- Maintain client records in accordance with agency and program policies.
- Assist Director in compiling management reports and statistics.
- Conduct community outreach.
- Assist with contract/grant writing, as requested.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Public Policy, Government, Social Sciences, or a related field.
- One-year experience working in immigration or a related field.
- One-year experience as paralegal preferred
- Bilingual (Fluent in English and Spanish), written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills.
- Skill in the use of computers, preferably in a PC, Windows-based operating environment.
Salary/Hourly Minimum Rate $28.37 to Maximum Rate $30.28.