Paralegal – Intake Services
Maryland Legal Aid
August 16, 2021
Maryland Legal Aid (MLA) provides life-changing civil legal assistance to eligible residents in every part of the State. Since 1911, MLA has provided high-quality legal services to low-income, and marginalized individuals and communities–helping them remedy their civil legal issues and become empowered to overcome challenges, achieve stability and independence, and an overall better life.
MLA is dedicated to preserving the basic human needs and basic human rights of clients, particularly as they navigate the justice system. MLA staff, pro bono attorneys, community partners, and general supporters all play important roles in ensuring that the legal playing field is leveled so that those most in need achieve equal access to justice. It is because of this diverse support that MLA is able to be a voice to tens of thousands of economically disadvantaged and vulnerable Marylanders every year.
Telephone intake paralegals are expected to handle all functions related to client intake.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Screen clients for eligibility.
- Complete intakes, transfer calls and intakes to intake staff attorneys using MLA’s case management system and contact center software.
- Conduct preliminary and subsequent interviews with clients.
- Make referrals, as appropriate.
- Schedule appointments, hearings, etc.
- Conduct factual investigation and legal research as assigned.
- Prepare documents and correspondence.
- Assist in or develop case theory and strategy for the representation of clients.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Paralegal certificate or 4-yeardegree and prior paralegal experience preferred or demonstrated potential to perform the duties of a paralegal. Must have basic written and oral communications skills. Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (e.g., Word, Excel, Outlook, Teams, and SharePoint). Strong customer service skills, including the ability to empathize and assist people who are distressed. Ability to work in a fast-paced environment. Commitment to the mission of Maryland Legal Aid. Spanish language proficiency is desirable.
$36,414 to $67,429 depending on experience and education.
How To Apply
Apply for Paralegal using the link below:
A RESUME AND COVER LETTER ARE REQUIRED TO APPLY FOR THIS POSITION
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER