Paralegal – ACE Program – Intake Services (2083)
Maryland Legal Aid
September 21, 2022
Paralegal – Access to Counsel in Evictions (ACE) Intake Services
Baltimore City – Intake Services Unit, Baltimore, MD, US
Requisition ID: 2083
Maryland Legal Aid (MLA) provides life-changing civil legal assistance to eligible residents in every part of the State. Since 1911, MLA has provided high-quality legal services to low-income, and marginalized individuals and communities–helping them remedy their civil legal issues and become empowered to overcome challenges, achieve stability and independence, and an overall better life.
MLA is dedicated to preserving the basic human needs and basic human rights of clients, particularly as they navigate the justice system. MLA staff, pro bono attorneys, community partners, and general supporters all play important roles in ensuring that the legal playing field is leveled so that those most in need achieve equal access to justice. It is because of this diverse support that MLA is able to be a voice to tens of thousands of economically disadvantaged and vulnerable Marylanders every year.
MLA is committed to fully expanding the right to counsel to all Marylanders facing eviction and is proud to announce its participation in the Access to Counsel in Eviction (ACE) Program. Baltimore City ACE has one intake paralegal position available for those who are passionate about public interest law and social justice and want to work closely with communities burdened by systemic socioeconomic barriers to prevent eviction and homelessness. Because the COVID-19 pandemic has disparately impacted the communities we represent, eviction prevention legal services are more critical now than ever. Maryland Courts have reopened and cases are being scheduled at an explosive pace and there has never been a greater need for tenant representation in landlord-tenant cases than now. This is a great place to start or build your legal career and gain valuable skills while combating the threat of eviction and homelessness.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Screen clients for eligibility.
- Complete intakes using MLA’s case management system and contact center software.
- Conduct preliminary and subsequent interviews with clients.
- Make referrals, as appropriate.
- Participate in client intake in person, online, and by phone and client and community outreach initiatives.
- Continue professional development and education through attendance at trainings and other programs sponsored by Maryland Legal Aid.
- Maintain case records for clients in the LegalServer case management system.
- Perform other duties as assigned within the scope of the essential functions of the position.
- All of the above duties and responsibilities are essential job functions subject to reasonable accommodation.
- Experience with principles of civil law, judicial procedures, and rules of evidence.
- Ability to use a computer, web-based applications, and computer programs such as Office 365 including Word, Outlook, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Excellent research, critical thinking, writing, and communication skills.
- Self-starter with ability to juggle multiple priorities and meet regular deadlines in a fast-paced environment while balancing a full workload.
- Ability to travel locally and regionally in Maryland as needed.
- Knowledge of Westlaw Edge or other legal research software is a plus.
- Prior experience and/or interest in public-interest litigation or providing nonprofit legal services is a plus.
- Spanish language proficiency is desirable.
The salary range for this position is $37, 142.00 – $66,737.00. In addition, MLA provides employees with a generous benefits package that includes health, dental, vision, life insurance, a 401(k) retirement plan, 2 weeks paid time off, paid sick leave, 14 annual paid holidays, and more! Future flexibility regarding a hybrid work arrangement is a possibility after the onboarding period. Eligibility to apply for the Maryland Janet L. Hoffman Loan Assistance Repayment Program (LARP).
How To Apply
Apply for Paralegal – Access to Counsel in Evictions (ACE) Intake Services using the link below: